Old Boat Motor Mechanic

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know of someone good to work on an old (70s) boat motor in the Valley City/Fargo area?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
keeps jumping out of gear. Something in the linkage I guess. its a 25hp evinrude.late 70s i would guess.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be adjustment on the cables , You can only hope that it's not going into gear far enough . Take the shifter cable off and manually shift motor in gear then set linkage to fit , There should be a detent where you feel it go all the way in gear.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be adjustment on the cables , You can only hope that it's not going into gear far enough . Take the shifter cable off and manually shift motor in gear then set linkage to fit , There should be a detent where you feel it go all the way in gear.

It doesn't have cables. It has two rods that are connected about halfway down the motor. We took the lower unit off and it goes into gear when you pull out or push in the rod manually, but when it's together it won't fully go into gear using the shift lever. I will look at it again. There must be some kind of rod length adjustment up by the shift lever.

I thought there was someone in Valley City that worked on older stuff like this.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
clutch dogs go out on those in the lower unit on a regular basis. easy fix.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try Howes repair in Fargo. I went by his shop back in Dec and he was still open.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try Howes repair in Fargo. I went by his shop back in Dec and he was still open.

Went by their today and was closed, still had sign up. I'll try again. thank you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69