Ice conditions Trenton, Odland Dam?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone has been to Trenton or Odland recently? Guy from work wants panfish tomorrow instead of hitting the big lake. Wondering about ice conditions or advice on a different lake/dam. Thanks

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went past Sather on Sunday and today and saw nobody there. Makes me wonder if the ice conditions there are sketchy. If so then Odland would probably be the same?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I am thinking Odland is gonna be iffy, not worth a 60 some mile drive for no good reason, thanks for the info.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw people fishing on trenton saturday and sunday, we fished there last week and the ice was 14-18" but not in the best shape. I'm sure you can walk out but driving wouldn't be too smart. Bring a plank just in case. We have been fishing the missouri in spots with ice up to 2', just slow fishing.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can usually tell how trenton's gonna b by how the river at the 85 bridge is... if it is up or down with buggered up edges, trenton prolly is too... you can usually fish it well after the edges are all screwed up with a 12' 2x8 or 2, but this is not a normal winter, and the new snow may hide problems as well...

if it's safe to fish and nice weather, there will b people on it... if it's nice with no one fishing, turn around...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the replies. Fished Sak yesterday and ice ranged from 4" to 9". South of Bear Den.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sather shouldn't be too bad to walk on, it's not exactly a popular spot these days.(haven't tested that theory though. Been by there a handful of times or more this winter and haven't seen one person fishing. I haven't fished there this year, did last winter and managed a few ok sized gills and a few small bass. If you have wax worms you can catch tiny gills as fast as you can take them off the hook. Like raider said if the river is on the rise the edges at Trenton can disappear in a hurry.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy canceled and short on time, I went to Arnegard since I had caught some decent perch there last year. Caught a bullhead to avoid the stripe, marked fish and had a bobber down a couple times but all in all glad to have quit early. 14" o good ice.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
That place used to be fun when I was a kid. Kinda turned into nothing but a slough. I know they have been dredging and selling the dirt. Maybe after some more of that it will have a chance to be good again. Might need some stocking help which is rare in Mckenzie county these days.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw that they had moved some dirt, was thinking today it would be good to drain it, clean it out and start over. I caught several 10-12" perch last year and a couple pike.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were ice fishermen out on Odlands this week. No idea how the fishing was.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think this influx of warmer water has triggered the feed bags to go back on. Ate out at Tobacco Garden tonight, ice must still be decent or just crazies out. Saw a few trucks and a couple houses out and a few fish caught I also was told that Ft. Peck is mostly opened up. Days are numbered; hope to get out after this hitch and then get the boat ready.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think this influx of warmer water has triggered the feed bags to go back on. Ate out at Tobacco Garden tonight, ice must still be decent or just crazies out. Saw a few trucks and a couple houses out and a few fish caught I also was told that Ft. Peck is mostly opened up. Days are numbered; hope to get out after this hitch and then get the boat ready.

when the yellowstone breaks loose and really starts coming, it's over... the water rolling through billings right now is effected by temps in the 60's and a shallow dark bottom run for 300 miles... it will b warm, and it will cut the ice very quickly, and warm water all through the system very quickly...

PLEASE shift focus to spring activities and getting the boat or shore rods ready...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the yellowstone breaks loose and really starts coming, it's over... the water rolling through billings right now is effected by temps in the 60's and a shallow dark bottom run for 300 miles... it will b warm, and it will cut the ice very quickly, and warm water all through the system very quickly...

PLEASE shift focus to spring activities and getting the boat or shore rods ready...

Yup, it is going to be quick.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86