Lake Winnipeg

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is looking pretty good that I could make it up to Lake Winnipeg this weekend. I do have a problem though. All I have is an ATV. A buddy has been doing some research and thinks most of the travel is with tracked machines..... Has anyone been up there lately? Any idea if I would be able to make it around with an ATV with wheels?

beanman82

I looked at the Manitoba forum and it looks OK for an ATV. I would bring chains with just in case. We are going up next week. Good luck.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to the forums, a lot of guys are driving on with trucks w/ good tires. Bring a shovel and chains. Use common sense and you should be fine.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was up there and fished on sat and sun (13-14), drove a wheeled Polaris ranger and had no problem, .. yeah there is a fair amount of snow but only got stuck once all weekend and that was operator error.. You will be fine, just Chit bomber a lil and you'll be good to go!.. this was west side,, out of warner rd...

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to take your stuff in at night, allot of thefts going on right now.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been going up there for about 8 years.. the stealing fishing stuff is nothing new....you are on the edge of a Big City. No different than Mpls..

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been going up there for about 8 years.. the stealing fishing stuff is nothing new....you are on the edge of a Big City. No different than Mpls..

Exactly. The crime in Winnipeg makes MPLS look like Mayberry. As far as staying at south beach, would you consider leaving all your fishing stuff in your vehicle/trailer overnight on a reservation in ND?

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm planning to go the last weekend of March. With the current temps, what are the chances there will be safe ice that weekend? How thick is the ice right now?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. The crime in Winnipeg makes MPLS look like Mayberry. As far as staying at south beach, would you consider leaving all your fishing stuff in your vehicle/trailer overnight on a reservation in ND?

we got into town late and had to buy our licenses from a shell station. The entire transaction happened via those plexi glass security boxes. All the while it was 25 below and 2 in the morning. When we got to the hotel, the attendant laughed at our description and says, "that place gets robbed a lot."

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm planning to go the last weekend of March. With the current temps, what are the chances there will be safe ice that weekend? How thick is the ice right now?

Not good Im guessing but you never know.

Tritonman

Founding Member
Founding Member
32541535.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wide junk of foam for the vexilar buckets, tackle box heater and one more cut to be completed for another heater

Attachments

image.jpg

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what's the go to rods and tackle for up there. Curious if one need a whole new setup and tackle for a trip up there.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like a MH 32" with 10# fireline. Lipless cranks are really popular up their. especially the Live Target. However, spoons seem to be working just as well if not better this winter. Big spoons. Think dare devil sized spoons.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what's the go to rods and tackle for up there. Curious if one need a whole new setup and tackle for a trip up there.

You don't have to go overboard like a lot of guys do. You can get away with two rods. One 32-36" MH for the rattle baits. One 32" M for spoons/bladebaits. Put quick snap on to change lures quickly and there is no need for 5-6 rods. I have went both times with 3 rods. Caught my biggest fish on the M rod. The slobs actually don't fight that hard and are in pretty shallow water.

Make sure the M rod does have a good backbone though to set the hooks in those pigs. You could just get two MH but i find i never use those otherwise. At least a M you can still use for walleye in ND.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63