coyote calling sequence

Hammer

Just wondered what you guys have had success with this time of year, and how do you go through a typical calling sequence once on stand (Ex: what sound(s) do you use and for how long, etc.) How long do you stick with a particular sound before switching to a different one while on the same stand, or do you stick with the same sound during the entire stand?

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't done much calling this winter so can't be much help to you. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's around mating time so take that into consideration. Fishing has been to good to go after educated dogs in this area.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was u I would just stay at the bar and drink beer. If u are hell bent on going hit up the spots I showed u. I would start with some female howls then go to a pup in distress or rabbit.

Hammer

Gonna give it a whirl this weekend. At least it won't be -40 below out. Might find the bar too. Oh who am I kidding... it's not if I find the bar, it's when.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya coyote vocalization will be hot this year as they are pairing up now as we speak, last friday i went out on 2 sets and called in 2 pairs of coyotes, which for around here is unheard of.. but keep in mind this was a below zero wind chill on friday so that help my cause but i ran jack rabbit distresses til i would say around the 5-6 minute mark and then just be quiet for a couple minutes and i went right into the pup distress 2 and boom here they came all 4 were sprinting in.... but male howl, female yodel, female submission those should all be calls to try this weekend, its going to be very warm and a full moon so its not going to be great for calling during the day, if there is any snow left and clear skies at night wouldnt be so bad once it cools down and they are more active. but you never know with coyotes, you can go out calling on a crappy calling day and call in 6 who knows...
good luck this weekend and let me know if you get any responses and what you were using!

Hammer

A friend and I went out on Saturday and had a little luck. I started out with some howling for about 6 minutes or so and then switched to pup distress for about another 10 minutes. This is usually about the time when I pack up shop and head back to the truck but something told me we needed to sit a little longer and try something different. At about the 17 minute mark, I switched to "Lightning Jack" and about a minute and a half later 2 coyotes came charging in to about 100 yards. Only one of them presented a shot though - a 32 lb. male that got to hang around with us the rest of the day in the back of the pickup. Later, towards the end of the day, I called another one in via howling but it hung up around 325 yards on the wrong side of some trees and we never got a shot at it. All in all it was a pretty fun day. The best part about it was, it turned out to be the first career coyote for my friend. Man, the smile he had that stretched from ear to ear on his face made it all that much more memorable. It's pretty cool memory I'll take home with me.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor than hold the break pedel to the floor, roll the window down, shoot and repeat sequence.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67