Bimini top or enclosure for boat - Where to buy or have made???

defiant1

Honored Member
The boat (full windshield with 92" beam) I am buying does not come with a bimini top or any type of enclosure (front overhead, side flaps). It looks like it did at one time as there are snaps mounted to the top of the windshield. Is there a universal commercial off the shelf version I can purchase or is custom made the way to go?

If custom is the way to go, is there a reputable shop in North Dakota (preferably in the Minot/Bismarck area) that is recommended?

I am up for suggestions or practical experience.

d1

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing what kind of boat you have and assuming the snaps on the windshield are used for the same thing ours are, we had this whole enclosure made at TRS Industries in Fargo. There are side curtains, bow cover, walkway screen that goes between the consoles, and back enclosure that aren't in the pic. The walkway screen works great while running to block the wind. It works great for rain and sun protection while on the water, but holy wind sail does it drag when running with it up. Hope I guessed right and this helps. Good Luck!!

don's pictures 009_edited.JPG

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
what kind of boat? some of us might have one. I have the stock bimini top for my boat, still in protective cover. it will probably never be installed, it sits up in the rafters with the snap in carpet

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the same position as you. Just purchased a boat and doesnt have the top but its a necessity for me. If anyone has a top for an lund explorer sport laying around I would be interested in it. Other than that, I've researched TRS and a slough of custom cover places in MN but dont want to drag my boat all the way over there. Last resort is ordering brand new from Lund which ain't cheap.

On my last boat I ordered a bimini from Iboats.com for $300 and installed myself. Probably cheapest way to go but be ready to install/drill on rails of boat.

defiant1

Honored Member
monark1.jpgmonark2.2.jpg

The boat is a 1999 MonArk King 190. I attached picture for reference.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to get a top that exactly matches your beam with. I checked with River City Sport & Marine for an estimate on the sun protection kind. I didn't feel I would use the rain-style as much, figuring I could dodge 90% of the weather systems; and if not, I always have two sets of rain gear at the ready. They were sky high and told me to expect $1,400 to sew and install one for my Skeeter 1850. Again, this was without the snap enclosures on the windshield, too!

When asking a medical expert I usually refuse the initial pricing and look for a second opinion, and that's what I did here....

I went online and found a website that uses the same material by Sunbrella, stainless steel hardware, shipped to me, for $700. I loaded in my make/model of the boat and a couple of weeks later it arrived. I assembled the material to the hardware and contacted BZ's Canvas Repair for the install. He had the tools and knowledge I didn't have for an extremely affordable price.

I've only had to use the top a couple of times the past two summers. When those temps get up into high-80's or 90's the bimini top cuts down the temp an easy 10-degrees when getting the sun off of your skin. I definitely say they're worth buying one and can add time you actually spend on the water.

I'm one who will always check pricing locally, and prefer that purchase. But, when it's DOUBLE the price? Yeeeeesh, I have to go with savings because of economy of scale. You want to charge me an extra $150 extra for a similar product? I'm okay with that. But $700 more?

defiant1

Honored Member
You need to get a top that exactly matches your beam with. I checked with River City Sport & Marine for an estimate on the sun protection kind. I didn't feel I would use the rain-style as much, figuring I could dodge 90% of the weather systems; and if not, I always have two sets of rain gear at the ready. They were sky high and told me to expect $1,400 to sew and install one for my Skeeter 1850. Again, this was without the snap enclosures on the windshield, too!

When asking a medical expert I usually refuse the initial pricing and look for a second opinion, and that's what I did here....

I went online and found a website that uses the same material by Sunbrella, stainless steel hardware, shipped to me, for $700. I loaded in my make/model of the boat and a couple of weeks later it arrived. I assembled the material to the hardware and contacted BZ's Canvas Repair for the install. He had the tools and knowledge I didn't have for an extremely affordable price.
QUOTE]
How do you like the Sunbrella material? Has it held up well?

- - - Updated - - -

I seen this on BisMan. I thought it was a good deal. Nice looking boat.

Yeah, I agree and that is the main reason I purchased it. It wasn't the exact boat I was after, but it will fit my family's needs for now. I was tired of looking at boats that were either junk, overpriced junk or simply overpriced. This is a good boat at a good price. But I digress, I will know more after the hard water melts and I can make some wake.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sunbrella is the top end of fabric capable of handing weather. If there is something higher in quality today, it wasn't around in 2013/2014 when I was shopping. My guess is Sunbrella has the majority of market share. I can attest that it'll be raised above my boat once again this summer, when that ol' sun is beaming down on us hard!

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the exact same boat (year, color, and motor size) late last fall only mine is a 170. I didn't get to use it much before winter but so far I'm really happy with it (other than I don't have a kicker yet). Mine also apparently had a factory biminy that did not come with the boat but it still has the rails and windshield snaps. If you find a good fitting replacement one make sure to post it and where you got it at. Enjoy your new boat!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can buy a bimini from pretty much any number of websites, it's a simple width x length x your choice in fabric calculation. I actually have the factory Lund all-weather set and then bought a bimini top for sun. Both are OK but I surely don't use either enough in the long run. The all-weather enclosure should either be custom made or factory fit. I can't imagine getting something that would serve that purpose as a one-size fits all kind of thing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60