Boat floor restoration

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just going to start the task of redoing the floor and innards of a 1994 Lund pro v single counsel. Any tips tricks or just some general info I should know before starting??

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am doing my 95 20 foot Alaskan tiller. I had to get 4x10 sheets of 3/4 marine plywood. ordered new vinyl. you probably have to remove your console first then start drilling rivets and remove old flooring. I try and not wreck my old flooring so I can use as a pattern.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Add in-floor storage. Reconfigure storage compartments to better fit your gear.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use stainless steel screws. A sawsall is a necessity as its fairly likely that the old screws are not going to come out easily. I've done it before, get ready to cuss.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would run pvc pipe from stern battery compartment to helm, helm to bow, and another one from bow back to battery compartment, all under the floor making it easy to add or subtract... could use toilet fittings to go through and lock to the floor, and would drill some holes on the bottom of the pipe to allow water to drain... don't know why manufacturers don't do this... oh wait, 20 bucks...

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Tinboats.net for all kinds of advice and ideas.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just did this to my 1999 lund fisherman. Use the old piece of wood as a template for the new piece. Works like a charm.

As guywhoknowsstuff said, get a multitool like a dremmel or similar brand. You'll be drilling, slicing, etc. a lot of screws and/or rivets to get everything out.

Take photos of everything before you take it apart so you can see where it all went in/out.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been down this road several times, twice on my own boats and three for hire.

Do not use green treat as AC2 is corrosive with aluminum when it gets wet. My understanding is, the only difference between marine grade plywood and regular plywood is that there are no air pockets between the laminations with marine grade. I've seen both used. I would spend the extra for the marine grade because when you are done you will swear to never do this again.

Like Guy said...a multitool will save you a lot of swearing. Console will only need to be freed from the floor, you don't necessarily need to take it out as you can slide the new flooring underneath it. if you have a strorage space under your console, many times, the new floor under the console can be screwed from the bottom of the support with a shorter screw... screw sucking it down.

Typically your livewell will sit on the boat frame and your floor will be on top of the flair/flange at the top edge of the live well. It is a good idea to put some sealant between the live well flange and your new floor. This way when water is splashing around in the well, it wont find its way between the live well and your floor ending up down in the hull.

Generally the floor will be in sections, depending on the degree of rot, try to get the pieces out whole and simply use them as pattern for you new floor. If you are putting down new carpet, pay for the factory quality stuff rather than the midgrade/Cabela's stuff, you will be happy you did in 2 years. Also if doing carpet, when you get to the little pieces (bow, fuel tank cowling, etc), carpet them before you install them.

Stainless steel screws and bolts are a must. Make sure you pre-drill you holes through the metal floor supports as the stainless steel screw heads will strip out much easier than a regular screw. An impact driver and proper size bit for the screws is a good idea. I've had good luck with the SS screws from fastenal. They may have to order them from another store so it could take a day to get them.

This is also a great time to inspect every wire in your boat since it is all open. Buy some shrink wrap and seal every conection you can find. If you find wire lying on the hull, secure them up so they are out of any water than may run through the hull. It will only take you a couple hours and save you frustration down the road with grounding/vibration issues. Also a good time to consider new battery trays/boxes, hatch pulls, live well plumbing, etc. You can take this stuff as far as you want.

Last but not least...take your time & spend extra for quality when you can. When you find youself getting pissed at a stubborn screw it's time to take a break. Don't expect this to be a weekend project.

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, thanks so much for all the info... This will certainly help I am not much of a carpenter at all, but a friend who is fairly handy with things is going to help out.. I noticed that the foam underneath looks to be a bit water logged so thinking about tearing all that out and repouring as well. I wonder if they make anything to seal the rivets with once all that is ripped out beings I will be able to get at most of them?

1Bigdog

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a 2007 Starcraft a year and a half ago (good price). The plywood in most spots was fine, but the carpet was shot. I decided to replace the carpet and most of the plywood myself. As everyone has said above, go with the marine grade plywood and stainless steel hardware. Since I had everything apart, I added a valve for the back live well so I didn't have to reach down in to pull the plug. IMG_20141115_065819.jpgo_42c2d9e2ed4293d30f3a7f56aca8c10e.jpgIMG_20141115_071103.jpg

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That fuel fill hose running down the inside of Bigdog's boat (which looks great by the way) reminded me of something else....this is a great time to remove the fuel tank, clean it out, change any uptake screens, replace/fix any fuel gauge issues that may exist.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit that eats up a lot of a guys fishing time.
I am not a wealthy guy, but would sure rather pay someone a few bucks to handle this large of a project. Or if you do tackle it, start just after pheasant season when the ice fishing is slower and your weekends are slightly boring anyway.

I wish you luck, and hope it all works out good.

The few times I have tried to fix stuff like this didn't turn out well for me. I have a full time gig, and sure don't want a part time headache.

again good luck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing beats doing it yourself - while you are in there you can be running conduit (as mentioned), inspecting stuff, replacing anything looking half-a$$ed, etc.

labor of love that pays dividends knowing it all got done right - and how to repair stuff down the road and how to get into it again.

and take lots and lots and lots of pics as mentioned too

seal rivets?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing beats doing it yourself - while you are in there you can be running conduit (as mentioned), inspecting stuff, replacing anything looking half-a$$ed, etc.

labor of love that pays dividends knowing it all got done right - and how to repair stuff down the road and how to get into it again.

and take lots and lots and lots of pics as mentioned too

seal rivets?

well maybe next time you need a liver transplant you can take some pics and do it yourself...haha

everything beats doing it yourself, like the wife setting a plate of food at my spot on the table, or the kids running me another cold one, or my hunting partner gutting my deer...

Or the water treatment plant cleaning my water for me, could I learn how to do it, sure, but why? Are you telling me cleaning my own water would give me a sense of pride, and it would taste better...haha

I could start my own beehive in the back yard too, but think I will just purchase the one jar of honey we use every other year...

:;:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit that eats up a lot of a guys fishing time.
I am not a wealthy guy, but would sure rather pay someone a few bucks to handle this large of a project. Or if you do tackle it, start just after pheasant season when the ice fishing is slower and your weekends are slightly boring anyway.

I wish you luck, and hope it all works out good.

The few times I have tried to fix stuff like this didn't turn out well for me. I have a full time gig, and sure don't want a part time headache.

again good luck.
I think most guys have full time gigs, its just some guys do stuff like this and some guys pay to get it done, it just doing the work its not rocket science If most of us had to pay to get stuff like this done there wouldn't be much money to actually go fishing and hunting. It is also can be a good way to make a bunch of cash off guys like you

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75