ice/fishing report for northgate?

John Michael Barry

Considering the two hour trip to northgate dam tomorrow am, does anyone have any ice and fishing reports??

Last edited:

ndfishin15

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing there last weekend was alright. Plenty of trout on shallow tip ups and a decent amount of bluegill from the deeper water in front of the boat ramp. Enjoy the morning because around 1000-1030 it all shuts off completely. We haven't caught a fish past 1030 yet this year except for a couple trout. Good Luck!

John Michael Barry

Never considered the trout. Was planning on the bluegill bite with a chance of black crappie or walleye as bonuses. what did you have under the tip ups for trout? Good ice as well?

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove by on my way home from work today, the ice in front of the boat ramp was not looking the best and it looked like all the snow was gone from on top of the ice.

There were pickups and ice houses on the ice but I am not sure if the pickups were going to make it off with out breaking through at the ramp.

I went through the ice on foot Wednesday on the north side walking out. I was right next to shore and only went ankle deep.

I went out yesterday and walked on from the south side, I fished about 9 foot of water and saw 1 crappie and a couple trout in the 3 hours I was there. I walked in from the south side.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
its only 7 miles to northgate from home, wife and I went out this afternoon and there are still people driving out. Personally we walked out, we tried 12 feet saw nothing on the cam, moved out to 20 feet and saw a few bluegill and crappie on cam. nothing interested in what we had down the holes. heard other excited about bites/catches. we were just west of the boat dock out in front of the last dock from the ramp.

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
forgot to add that I didn't check the ice depth closer to the shore but was at least 16 inches where I drilled and the bottom 3/4 of that was clear ice, the top 1/4 was getting cloudy.

ndfishin15

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plain hook with a minnow works for the trout. For the gills and crappie get out deeper toward the middle of the lake and drill a ton of holes

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
wife and I were out there today, drove out and fished in about 15-18 feet per the fishidy app for my cell phone, saw tons of crappie and if the jig even moved they took off. one bluegill came up and it is in the freezer. we got there and set up about 4 pm and stayed till after 6 pm. Ice was same as day before. if the weather report is right I will probably be out there again tomorrow after work.

Forgot to add this in, some people seem to think that it is safe to drive as fast as they want on the ice, it was really making noise with some of the vehicles on the ice. DRIVE SLOW.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79