Homemade quick strike rig

RRmaniac

Established Member
I am looking to make quick strike rigs for pike on tip ups. Any suggestions for hook size. I plan to use smelt.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used 12's or 10's with one in the loop of the bottom crimp and one left to slide to be able to hook anywhere in any sized smelt... going small worked very well for us over many years of pikin...

- - - Updated - - -

trebles that is

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
So theyou aren't available anymore for 9ne reason or another. Anyone want to help me out? To lazy to make them. Will pay $5 a piece.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep things simple. One short leader, 4" with a treble on the end, then the standard 10" or so leader attached to the short one, with a treble on the long leader also. Attach both trebles to the smelt, and then I wrap with two small rubber bands.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had good luck with the A-frame style ones, adjustable to any bait size. Sometimes I put beads or small spinners above the hooks, either way they cost hardly anything and take about a minute to make once you buy the supplies. I wrap them up in these clear plastic cylinders from hobby lobby, they stack together and keep things from getting tangled.

RRmaniac

Established Member
After reading into the regulations, I believe any hooks on your line, part of a lure or not must be with in 10 inches in ND. So, on the A-frame ones, each side could only be 5 inches long I believe.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used 12's or 10's with one in the loop of the bottom crimp and one left to slide to be able to hook anywhere in any sized smelt... going small worked very well for us over many years of pikin...

- - - Updated - - -

trebles that is
Too small!!! Evidently you havent had to wrestle many 20+ lb pike through 8" holes

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too much work. 2/0 or 1/0 treble hook and a 8" steel leader. Shove the eye of the treble hook through the belly and up through the spine, and then connect your steel leader. Rarely lose a fish.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i will have to disagree with you hwd. i used to use the single treble through the bait and onto a leader method. maybe i was doing it wrong. but, our hook up percentage is far greater with those quick strike rigs. i like to connect the rigs to the bottom of a spoon. but, i suppose that is irrelevant that this specific topic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74