spinner database...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd really like to see database type threads built on na that could be easily resourced by members at any time... would be nice to see members favorites on particular bodies of water, times of year, length, line type and weight, speed pulled, bead quantity and colors, blade type, size, and color, etc...

more info and ideas are better, especially for the new to fishing or new to a particular area... if a trip popped up, this would be a great place to go to get good information, and just may make for a better trip by a member...

i'll start with spinners which is how i normally fish, and i hope this and threads like it grow every month... good luck all, springs comin...

i roll my own usually out of 14 or 17# vanish or xt... 5 or 6 5mm beads of about any color and combination, with line initially cut to 4' to start and ending up bout 3'... i usually use 2 vmx #4 red hooks bout 2" apart, then the beads, then a quick change clevis... i have used 5" gulp leaches in all colors for years and done very well, and am now also using the killer crawlers a lot the past year... i should use live crawlers more, and will this year...

we normally fish 4 out of a toon (one in each corner) and have the front with 2oz bottom bouncers and the rear with 1 or 1.5oz...

we use mainly #5 colorado blades in speckled chartreuse, purple, or blue... these were my go to colors for sak, raferty, and tobin... haven't quite got devils figured out yet... been fishing there since last year...

we normally pulled from 1 to 1.3mph, but am learning that on devils, it's best to pick it up a notch...

for depths we are all over the place, but normally try to fish in 10-15' when possible for eyes... on dl we have had better luck for pike in 5-10' or 20-35'...

good luck all!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Metalic when fishing DL, whether it be silver, brass, hammered brass, gold, and in particular the WaPa brand with reflector tape on it. Crappy line they use, but those blades put fish in the well!

Sak, mostly chartreuse flavors but there are times where the ultra colorful looking clown/rainbow thingy's work quite well. Green is also a good color at times. I own a shit ton of the holographic blades and truth be told, I like them way more than the damn fish.

As far as blades, I mostly use Colorado blades, but there have been times on Sak where willow blades were awesome.

As far as bait, I have had great luck with leeches on DL and Sak, with crawlers and minnows a distant second and third (although the past few years crawlers have seemed to close the gap on Sak for me). On Oahe and the river, crawlers are the clear winner.

As far as length of snell, anything over 36 inches is too damn much in my opinion. It defeats the bottom bouncer design. 18 inches is too short tho.

As far as hooks, I tend to prefer a single long shank hook for all baits.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rarely use spinners, but with the advent of titanium snells i am going to put them back in the arsenal more often.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 20lb fluorocarbon and have had good luck with owner hooks. I've found Hobby Lobby is a great place to buy beads.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys realize that you're giving the 'Sconis another option other than slip bobbers right?

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been thinking about doing my own for a while now. Where is the best place to get everything?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been thinking about doing my own for a while now. Where is the best place to get everything?

janns net craft if you have to order online. If you're in bismarck, wade at dakota tackle has everything and then some in his store. I'm going to toy around with painting some spinner blades for myself this year.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
janns net craft if you have to order online. If you're in bismarck, wade at dakota tackle has everything and then some in his store. I'm going to toy around with painting some spinner blades for myself this year.

Thanks il have to check that website out

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember, for me anyway, spinner line strength must be less than strength of line on the pole. That way when you snag and snap, you will lose hook, blade, beads etc, but should be able to keep the bottom bouncer most times. I'm a fan of 12# on my poles and 10# on my spinner rigs. Dont sound like much of a difference, but definitely keeps more bottom bouncers on the line when you snag up!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember, for me anyway, spinner line strength must be less than strength of line on the pole. That way when you snag and snap, you will lose hook, blade, beads etc, but should be able to keep the bottom bouncer most times. I'm a fan of 12# on my poles and 10# on my spinner rigs. Dont sound like much of a difference, but definitely keeps more bottom bouncers on the line when you snag up!

Agreed. I usually just run 30lb Power Pro on my bouncer rods with baitcasters with a 15lb flouro leader.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd really like to see database type threads built on na that could be easily resourced by members at any time... would be nice to see members favorites on particular bodies of water, times of year, length, line type and weight, speed pulled, bead quantity and colors, blade type, size, and color, etc...

more info and ideas are better, especially for the new to fishing or new to a particular area... if a trip popped up, this would be a great place to go to get good information, and just may make for a better trip by a member...

i'll start with spinners which is how i normally fish, and i hope this and threads like it grow every month... good luck all, springs comin...

i roll my own usually out of 14 or 17# vanish or xt... 5 or 6 5mm beads of about any color and combination, with line initially cut to 4' to start and ending up bout 3'... i usually use 2 vmx #4 red hooks bout 2" apart, then the beads, then a quick change clevis... i have used 5" gulp leaches in all colors for years and done very well, and am now also using the killer crawlers a lot the past year... i should use live crawlers more, and will this year...

we normally fish 4 out of a toon (one in each corner) and have the front with 2oz bottom bouncers and the rear with 1 or 1.5oz...

we use mainly #5 colorado blades in speckled chartreuse, purple, or blue... these were my go to colors for sak, raferty, and tobin... haven't quite got devils figured out yet... been fishing there since last year...

we normally pulled from 1 to 1.3mph, but am learning that on devils, it's best to pick it up a notch...

for depths we are all over the place, but normally try to fish in 10-15' when possible for eyes... on dl we have had better luck for pike in 5-10' or 20-35'...

good luck all!!!

hey me too!!!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, you guys are going way heavier on lines than I would ever guess. Last summer was the first time I went up to a 10-4 Suffix just so I could increase my spinner line from 6# to 8# line. I hated seeing that 15# crap that pre-fab packets came with, so I started buying bulk and doing my own on Sunday afternoon's in January when AFC/NFC playoffs were on t.v. Seemed best time to prep for summer while watching a game, a cold beer on a coaster, the fireplace rolling, dog at my feet, and somewhat reclined.

Maybe I need to take me spinner rigs up to 10# test, instead?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use at least 15# line when making spinners so the line is more rigid. Seems like they spin better. The latest jason mitchell video of pulling spinners on DL got me all horned up for open water!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good topic Raider . I need to learn about line, so I have nothing to offer in that department. Quick change clevises are a must for me, I also tie some up with floaters and as few beads as I can get away with and use plastic blades on them . They still snag but not near as bad. I use whatever line is handy with a variety of lengths with soft metal hooks that will straighten when snagged and I bend them back into shape with a needle nose. I like to switch colors a lot but agree with allen's picks. I'm a packrat with blades, I keep them in a ziplock freezer bag , Easy to see and reach in for what you want then get the air out and roll it up tight so the blades don't get scratched up as bad .

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
14# to 17# XT. Keeps the tangles minimized. I tried the 6# and 8# spinners and won't go back again. Much fewer messes with heavier line.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 10 lb power pro and throw 10 lb mono on all my spinners I tie up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105