Smoke Cheapo Roast

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a Bottom Round Roast on sale last week and figured I would throw it in the smoker and see what I could come up with. Seasoned with a little salt and Tatonka dust. Fired up the smoker to 225° and filled it with some mesquite chips. This is when the deep thinking began. So, after the Old Fashioned thread, I had a desire to make a few so I went and picked up a new bottle of Bourbon. I mixed up a drink as I was waiting for the smoker temp to come up and thought to myself, I'd sure like to get some bourbon flavor into the roast as well. So I decided to put some of that sweet bourbon in the water pan and see what would happen. Now I'm not totally sure if the flavors combined but you could sure smell the bourbon once the smoker got heated up. I then thought I needed something to top it off so I mixed up some creamy horseradish sauce and drizzled over the meat. Reverse seared the roast under the broiler (I use an electric smoker so no fancy searing like Mossy does). Turned out really good for a not so good cut of meat. I cut some thin to combine with the horseradish sauce and homemade bread for lunch today.

Creamy Horseradish sauce: 1 c. sour cream, 1-1.5 tbsp horseradish, S&P, Dash of white wine vinegar, and a couple squirts of dijon mustard.

FullSizeRender.jpg

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've got an elk roast from my dads kill this fall i was thinking of putting in the smoker, hard to say looking at your picture but i would guess them to be about the same, how long did you smoke yours at the 225? and you seared in the smoker? im not even sure what temp my smoker goes to.. did you have smoke to it the whole time?

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was just under 2 lbs and i believe i smoked it for about 1.5-2 hours. I didn't pay attention when i put it in because i have a digital thermometer stuck into it so i don't really watch the time. Smoked the whole time. Pulled it out at 125° and put it in the oven with the broiler on hi to sear it. Only a few minutes per side. This only got it to about 130° so i turned the oven down to 350 and left it for about 5 more minutes until it was 135°. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so before i sliced it. It looks more rare in the picture than it actually was.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not as good as a slow cooked/smoked roast. A easy crock pot roast that taste pretty good is a recipe called the Mississippi Roast.
3-4lb roast
1 packet au jus gravy mix
1 packet dry ranch seasoning
1 stick of real butter
6-8 pepperoncini
Little juice from the pepper jar.
Place roast in crock pot and a little juice just enough to cover the bottom of your crock pot
Dump dry packet seasonings over roast and place peppers around and on top of roast
Cook on low 8ish hours
Turns out to be a good tasting roast.
Put in crock pot before leaving for work and have supper ready when you get home.

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you guys are doing your smoking do you often times put different things in there as far as liquids to get that in the meat with your smoke?

I usually will just use water in the water pan for roasts just to keep them from drying out but i used bourbon for some reason this time. No idea if it made a difference but it sure smelled good when it started heating up.

Ribs i always use apple juice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69