New steering in Boat

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My boat has a double rack and pinion setup. It has been getting stiff to steer. Has anyone replaced this type of system? I am also considering upgrading it to a hydraulic system. From the searching I have done it looks like it would be in the $400 range for a new rack system, and around $600-$700 to upgrade it to a hydraulic system.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hydraulic is the way to go especially for 300 more bucks.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure on your setup at your motor, but I have in the past drilled a couple holes in the cable and used a small needle with grease. It has done the trick on a few friends as well. You need to silicone/tape them closed so water /sand doesnt get in. If you are going to replace it anyways, you really have nothing to lose by trying.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has a spot for grease. Once I found that I was a happy camper. If upgrading go hydraulic much nicer imo.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replaced mine on an older lund. It was so seized up that it finally snapped under the steering column. It was an evening and a 12 pack kind of job. Just make sure you test the steering prior to going in water, as I shamefully inverted the parts. Made for an interesting load job at the dock after I almost got thrown out of the boat. Left goes right makes for a quick correction.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71