6.5 Creedmoor.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine had been driving me nuts for a few weeks, but at last I solved it and thought I would pass this along if it may help someone.My groups opened up some, and I blamed it on my Boyd's stock getting a small crack when in the vehicle on a very hot day. So I epoxied it, sent to brownell's and installed a Magnum cross bolt, and pillar bedded. Nope, didn't help. So I blamed the scope, and switched scopes. Nope wasn't the scope. Rebedded the action with extra care. Nope wasn't that.
So today I decided I needed to check bullet seating depth for the new Hornady ELD-X 143 gr. Then as long as I had the equipment out I thought I may as well check the 140 Berger VLD. I have shot about 1000 rounds out of that rifle and my throat has moved forward .016 inch. The Berger's were shooting poor, and the Hornady Amax were shooting better. I touched the lands at 3.244 before and set my Berger's at 3.240. So now my throat is 3.260 and I seated for a bullet comparator length of 3.256 and everything is OK. Berger's and Hornady both shoot good now.
I was surprised the throat moved that far forward with 1000 rounds. I would be interested if anyone else has had this experience. Especially Kurt if you read this.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I get the new eld x I will recheck and see if I have grown at all. Nice thing about hornady they are not so seating depth temperamental like the Berger.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you creedmoor guys can help me out I have been thinking I need to get one of these but outside of playing with the caliber I really don't have much use for it. I have a 308 and fast twist 243 so will it do something that my current closest calibers won't?

Thanks for any help

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you creedmoor guys can help me out I have been thinking I need to get one of these but outside of playing with the caliber I really don't have much use for it. I have a 308 and fast twist 243 so will it do something that my current closest calibers won't?

Thanks for any help

The .308 is not even in the conversation and the .243 with 105s is but with less energy. Dump the .308 go creedmoor and it will be like gods hand is on your shoulder helping with wind calls. I did exactly that.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Kurt. I have a new custom 308. It is extremely accurate, but add wind to the equation and past 300 yards my Creedmoor will absolutely blow away my 308.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77