Braving the ice

John Michael Barry

Anyone going out on the ice near williston this weekend? I hear the fish and game are advising everyone to stay off, even just walking out.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to fish the Douglas Bay area yesterday, mainly the south side of Rattlesnake islands. The gap between the 2 islands had a lot of geese swimming in it. The ice in about 3/4s of the whole bay looked very water logged (dark blue almost black). There were quit a few guys that walked out fishing, some even walked out 3/4s of a mile. I said no way. We went over to Audubon to fish.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went out to White Earth today. 18"+ of ice in the bay, edges look alright yet and only minimal water on top. Couple pike but it was slow. We drove around in a polaris ranger and there were plenty of people on atvs out there even one tahoe. Looked like a lot more water on the ice to the west but I would guess the ice is still good.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
walked out in SC ND. Ice was pretty good yet. around 12-14 of solid blue ice. by the end of the day it had up to 3 inches of water in spots. water was draining back into the holes. kinda sketched out when my original pee spot somehow managed to cut through the ice and started a drain hole for the top water. also had a crack nearby open up a solid foot or so in one spot and the ice was starting to eat away. I felt relatively safe the whole time, however I believe my hardwater days are over for the year.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
walked out in SC ND. Ice was pretty good yet. around 12-14 of solid blue ice. by the end of the day it had up to 3 inches of water in spots. water was draining back into the holes. kinda sketched out when my original pee spot somehow managed to cut through the ice and started a drain hole for the top water. also had a crack nearby open up a solid foot or so in one spot and the ice was starting to eat away. I felt relatively safe the whole time, however I believe my hardwater days are over for the year.
Man you might want to go see a doctor if your piss can burn through a lake like that. :;:cheers

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha, we had marinated ourselves a tad by the time we noticed it so im sure I put a few gallons of pressurized hot water onto the same spot a few times. noticed a small whirlpool where the water was draining back down and it took us all a few minutes to realize that's where I had been pissing. a couple of our holes went from 8" to 12" by the end of the day.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw about 10 guys on Sak. Yesterday along hiway 83 by the pumphouse. One guy was about 30 feet or so from the pressure ridge there.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I wonder how many people will get lulled into a false sense of security with this little cold snap? We might be able to set some kind of record for most vehicles going through in one year. Hopefully we keep the death column at one which is to high already. With the river turning on and open water forming on near by lakes as well as nelson I'm way well be done with the hard water for this season.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77