Venison Ring Sausage

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Mixed 50/50 of ground venison/pork butt with cure for some Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch, Italian, Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa and stuffed into 32-35mm fresh hog casings for some ring sausage. Smoked with oak/hickory/cherry with the maze smoke generator, 1 hour no smoke, 1 hour at 110º with smoke, and 2 more hours at 130º with smoke for a little more color to the casing. This was a total of 35 pounds, each flavor was done in 5 pound batches and yielded about 8 vacuum sealed packages per flavor.

Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch and Italian ring sausage just into the smoker.

-----

Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch and Italian ring sausage just before coming out of the smoker.

-----

Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa ring sausage just into the smoker.

-----

Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa ring sausage just before coming out of the smoker.

Thanks for looking![/FONT]

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
These were on about 4 hours and then vacuum packaged and froze to fully cook another day.

Did you smoke to a certain temp or just to get the color smoke flavor of each ring that you like?

Also made a batch of your ground bacon this past weekend that was great.Thumbs Up

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you smoke to a certain temp or just to get the color smoke flavor of each ring that you like?

Also made a batch of your ground bacon this past weekend that was great.Thumbs Up

Smoke tiill the ring sausage was at the color we were looking for. Great to hear your liking the Ground & Formed Bacon!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
And then you'll cook to temp and re-seal them, or you just cook them individually when you're ready to eat it?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
And then you'll cook to temp and re-seal them, or you just cook them individually when you're ready to eat it?

I would recommend that you cook individually. Know people who cook to temp and package and when you reheat it gets very very dry.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's called cold smoking!!:;:smokin You don't use heat when you smoke it. Then you shrink wrap it, and freeze it. Some times I boil it in water right in the bag. You need to fully cook it before eating it. ;:;boozer

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
But, cold smoking isn't actually cold smoking at 110 or 130. If you don't let the cure do its thing for about 24 hours before smoking at temperatures like that, you can cause problems unless you bring the meat all the way up to 160 or whatever the magic number is.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm gonna clarify cause I think people need to know this. Cure only does its thing below a certain temp. I would have to Google it to give you the exact temperature. But, let's say 45 degrees. So, if you mix your meat, stuff your sausage, don't let the cure work for 24 hours, bring your sausage to 110 degrees for 6 hours and never get it to 165 (or whatever the magic number is for that particular meat, then you have essentially rendered the cure useless and left your meat in the danger zone for x amount of hours. Depending on what develops or doesnt develop in the meat, it probably won't harm you as long as you cook it good before you eat it. But, it could certainly affect the flavor and even the color. If the cure doesn't work before it's smoked, it won't have that pink cure color we expect from cured meats.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would recommend that you cook individually. Know people who cook to temp and package and when you reheat it gets very very dry.

I've never had that problem. I always add a fair amount of water to the meat, let sit overnight, stuff the next day, and smoke for a couple hours, then finish to temp in the oven. When I cook again, it doesn't ever seem dry to me and have had plenty of compliments. Just made up 25 lbs this weekend.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good MossyMO! we will be making our ring bologna in about 3 weeks and I can't wait!

walleyeND

These were on about 4 hours and then vacuum packaged and froze to fully cook another day.

Hey MossyMO! I was wondering if you do this with all types of sausage? I fully cook mine in the smoker and it takes forever and is very tedious - also dries portions out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76