Foxes and Skunks?????

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my snare line this year I have released 6 foxes and ALL OF THEM reeked of skunk. Do they share winter dens, kill them and eat'em, or search 5 counties until they find a dead one and roll on'em for hours?? I'm not sure a fox can take out a skunk, but I've seen and experienced their teeth and speed up close, so I'm not ruling it out. I consider myself a pretty good biologist, but this little phenomenon has me scratching my head. Any help from the peanut gallery would be great. Thanks!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats just how they smell. Its piss on their fur i think.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I don't go around comparing stinks, but I'd swear these things just got sprayed by a skunk. I suppose urinating when they get restrained would explain it, but I'm having a hard time with the thought that this nice, pretty, fluffy, bright red furred beautiful critter STINKS that bad all on it's own.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I urinate all over myself when restrained but that's a whole nother story :;:smokin

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your car must be an olfactory wonderland.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my snare line this year I have released 6 foxes and ALL OF THEM reeked of skunk. Do they share winter dens, kill them and eat'em, or search 5 counties until they find a dead one and roll on'em for hours?? I'm not sure a fox can take out a skunk, but I've seen and experienced their teeth and speed up close, so I'm not ruling it out. I consider myself a pretty good biologist, but this little phenomenon has me scratching my head. Any help from the peanut gallery would be great. Thanks!!!

I hear you, we don't have anymore but years ago when we did most if not all reeked of skunks then once in a while you'd get a few that smelled normal kind of like a coyote. I can't remember what months we got a few foxes but I'm thinking in Dec and Jan they didn't stink. I haven't seen a fox in at least 10 years around the farm, I'm not too sad either those bastards are flea infested creatures.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not too sad either those bastards are flea infested creatures.
Yes, and because of their behavior they are much more susceptible to mange than coyotes. When they meet they rub on each other. Coyotes in most cases hang a couple hundred yards apart and threaten each other for territory.
I know fox can really stink, but there is still a difference from skunk. Fox have begin to den much closer to human inhabitants because of pressure by coyotes. I wonder if a few may even take shelter under old buildings and have some encounters with skunks. I know one of my relatives was running out a couple of fox when he moved bales to feed cattle. My brother had the same experience, but that one was mangy and I think trying to stay warm in the bales. The first time it hit -20 he fell out on the ground as the tractor carried a bale to the feed bunks.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hand raised a silver fox years ago. They do have their own particular funk to them. Finally dad said he had to go. Blind Earny. Born blind, runt of the litter. He was pretty cool. Even though he couldn't see, his nose worked. He'd stay within three feet of me at all times. If I got out of his "range", he'd sit on his ass and start whining. He'd curl up at my feet most times or sit on my lap. When I got him, he'd fit in the palm of my hand. Got him fed and healthy after a while. He was probably 12 weeks or so old when the old man made me get rid of him.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid, dad and I would go fox hunting. When he would make a sneak, I would watch with the binos inside the pickup. I remember grabbing a few of them and don't remember them reeking of skunk. I do remember the fleas and lice on them, though.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats a fox worth these days?

IF and I DO MEAN...IF you can sell one, they run about $25 giver'er take for the very best colored, lush, prime pelts. For that money, I'll let'em run. Coyotes on the other hand, get the tactical coyote noggin bonker every time. I'll chase and take them out for free.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;hijacked

yote1.jpg

yote2.jpg

I figure eagles or hawks or some such ate the guts, but what the hell kind of animal would chew on a coyotes face and ears like that?? Weirded me out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been WELL documented that Coyotes will cannibalize each other at anytime regardless of stress. It has been shown on video that a coyote will begin eating another coyote as soon as it's dead. One coyote was taken by a hunter and while the spotlight was still on, another coyote came in and began eating it. Then they shot the other coyote. Just another gem that makes me take them out regardless of cost or return.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might have been some sort of bug too, beetling that schnozzle

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Judging by the snow in the pics, temps at that time are far beyond what most terrestrial insects can stand. I highly doubt the beetles capable of consuming a coyotes nose would be out and active that time of year under those conditions. My money is on another coyote as foxes avoid coyotes, dead or alive in my experience. Raccoons may have participated a bit as well judging by the environment, but coyotes would be my primary suspect. Mostly because I have had similar experiences on my line with coyotes being chewed by other coyotes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been WELL documented that Coyotes will cannibalize each other at anytime regardless of stress. It has been shown on video that a coyote will begin eating another coyote as soon as it's dead. One coyote was taken by a hunter and while the spotlight was still on, another coyote came in and began eating it. Then they shot the other coyote. Just another gem that makes me take them out regardless of cost or return.

sort of like when a politician is politically wounded or otherwise in deep doodoo

except the other politicians don't even wait until it's dead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79