Macks smile blades or Spinners?

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Which do you guys and gals like to use? I like to use Macks smile blades because you can pull them at a slower speeds if the fish are lethargic. I usually pull mine at .8 to 1.0. I always have better luck with them, but probably because I have confindence in them and use them more. Thoughts?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never used the smile blades, but I did order some a couple weeks ago. Going to try them with slow death for fun. Spinners have always worked fine for me, but I am getting bored in my old age.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smily blades are great like you said at slower speeds, a lot of people don't know about them. But i'll switch to a hamerd silver or gold spinner when were drifting at forty knots:::. I tied up a bunch of mack's with beads of my choice, with a slow death hooks, they catch fish. that being said if I only had one lead to bring it would be a single chartreuse bead and plain hook.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had really good success on Smile blades. This summer had a few days where they drastically outproduced spinners. Hot, calm days where the fish didn't want to react. Otherwise I would say they are similar in success for me. Yes, you can't fish them to 2mph but you sure can pull them 1.2-1.4 mph. I am trying a slow death/smile combo this year that I saw Parsons was using. We'll see.

My best colors are silver and chartruse.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a buddy that uses them exclusively at home in the columbia and everywhere else... he uses them with 3 way swivels and light line with river weights instead of bottom bouncers to save money on break off snags... works very well...

i fished with him for years on tobin, and he caught just as many fish as anyone while we fished with conventional spinner rigs... just as big or bigger fish too...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Comparison of fishing lures should never have an "Or". You need both 'cause sometimes you need one and other times you need the other.

Mono or superline...........Both
Twister tails or swimbaits...........Both
Crawlers or leeches...............Both
Kicker or electric..............Both
Shad bodies or stickballs..............Both
1/8 or 3/16oz jigs..............Both
1/4 or 3/8oz jigs............Both
Perch or Crappies............Both
Walleyes or Sauger.............Both
White bass or Pike...............Both
AL or 'Glass................Both, AL for rivers and small back-down-the-ditch scenarios, glass for big water

Etc, Etc, Etc.

Life, especially fishing life, is better if you don't ask "Or"

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mack's lures my brother got me hooked. Bought first ones in spokane used them and caught a lot of eyes out west. Here they are a killer on sak and somewhat on dl. I remember a tough opener in sotaland I put on a smile blade bead and a shiner smoked em vs my neighbor in the boat. West is the best.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been a fan for about 15 years.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Comparison of fishing lures should never have an "Or". You need both 'cause sometimes you need one and other times you need the other.

Mono or superline...........Both
Twister tails or swimsuits...........Both
Crawlers or leeches...............Both
Kicker or electric..............Both
Shad bodies or stickballs..............Both
1/8 or 3/16oz jigs..............Both
1/4 or 3/8oz jigs............Both
Perch or Crappies............Both
Walleyes or Sauger.............Both
White bass or Pike...............Both
AL or 'Glass................Both, AL for rivers and small back-down-the-ditch scenarios, glass for big water

Etc, Etc, Etc.

Life, especially fishing life, is better if you don't ask "Or"

Agree, my Bad.

- - - Updated - - -

When you guys tie up spinners or smile blades, do you ever put on treble hooks on the end to increase hookups?

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
I very rarely use a spinner blade, its either a prop or smile blade. I've pulled smiles from 0.4-2.5mph.

As for the treble hook, if you are fishing any structure expect to snag more. Most I know only use trebles in some open water trolling applications.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now we know you're fibbing because you didn't write a "War and Peace" length decision.

People need context. I deliver. Otherwise the Twitterville imaginations take over.

Smiles work well but on the reservoirs the tried and true hammer brass is still a go to.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, my Bad.

- - - Updated - - -

When you guys tie up spinners or smile blades, do you ever put on treble hooks on the end to increase hookups?

I did but not for long. I fish River area (new town) and it's got more structure so even if Johnny on the spot with boat control speed can reduce or run amock with structure and get one's self in wrong depth. Then you are snagged. Weight also is an issue. But if I fished more flat type structure s d could keep speed up and not contend with grass or trees trebles be intriguing. Open water applications sure. But seldom do we do it around this neck of the woods.

When I did trebles I tied heavy leaders. Idea is heavier mono would create drag and lift more to keep hook off bottom. Theory...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tied up a bunch of prop rigs last year. Caught a lot of pike on them.

Well I may scratch them off the list. Anyone ever use the Creme night crawler lure thst had the prop and beads? Not sure they even make it anymore.

Last edited:

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've yet to run a smile blade but have a buddy that runs them and has success. As for the spinner with a slow death hook, I tied 90% of my spinner rigs last year with slow death hooks and never had an issue with line twist, but I have always used a barrel swivel with spinners. I found hook up success was higher with the slow death due to the crawler being threaded 3/4 of the way on to the hook. The only difference I noticed in action was the crawler would spin but not give the corkscrew action like it would run on its own, I am guessing due to the fact the blade is disrupting the water in front of the hook not allowing it to corkscrew. Here again had no adverse affect with line twist with a barrel swivel.

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using strictly smile blades for about 3 years now. I tie all my own and have found much better success with them vs regular blades. I also only use single hooks sets and if the fish are striking light or if im missing them i just slow down my speed and all goes better. I fish them at all speeds but have found that usually the fish hit those harder than a regular spinner. Silver with red beads is my go to, but have used almost all colors and have found luck with them all at some point.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67