PowerPro Usage

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long do you guys use your braided line before changing out? Also, how long can you keep line on the original spool before it goes bad? Does it ever go bad? I am headed up to Miss Peg this weekend and thinking 2 year old PowerPro needs to get changed out. Thoughts?

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you fish alot, I change it out every year. If not, 2 should be no problem. I tend to cut off about the first 10 feet or so at the beginning of the season.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My ice fishing rods have had the same PP on them for about 5 years I will be changing it this next fall. I have yet to have it ever break.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had power pro or similar on cranking rods for up to four or five years.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. I've had some of mine on for about 3-4 years now. I clip the end off when she starts getting worn. Buy more when a spool runs low.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just got home from picking up spiderwire for my 4 main trolling rods... it is 6 and 10# test that is 8 years old... started to lose some rigs at the end of last year so i figured it was time to change...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your spool depth is good, leave it alone. Treat it like fly line. Use a Sharpie if it turns white and you're concerned. This shi'ite is near indestructible. A swivel is your friend.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get 3-4 years out of mine before I'd reverse the line on the spools and get another 3-4 years.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
When storing you rod and reels make sure direct sunlight is not hitting them. Thats really the only thing I can think of that will really shorten the lifespan of braid.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to get 3-4 years out of mine before I'd reverse the line on the spools and get another 3-4 years.

This....referring to the reversing of the line. I do that too and it works good. A drill with a line spool on a carriage bolt spins it off quickly, then buzz it on to another spool, now you can reel it back on and it's reversed.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I get 5 or so years out of pp. if worried just reverse it. Been using it on bouncer rods for 5 years with out any issues just cut off 10 feet or so when it gets frayed.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm running 10 year old PP (6/20). No issues. The little hairs sticking off it as it ages does nothing derogatory to strength. I also respectfully disagree with sunlight being detrimental. Still amazed how a pike can sever it like tissue paper; this defies logic to my feeble mind.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still amazed how a pike can sever it like tissue paper; this defies logic to my feeble mind.

I'm right there amazed with you....have had it happen more than once too and just don't get it.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run it for a loooooonnnnnnngggggg time. I cut 15ish feet off at the beginning of the year like everyone else. It is unnecessary to change out very often. If you think you are loosing rigs, then it's time to change.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm some sort of amazing jackass. I just snip off the old knot at the start of the year and randomly when I think the snap or wire leader is "done". You can keep your spools full for years. Dadgum I love this stuff!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like other guys say, reverse it. Buy a new reel, and peel off from an old one. Now the stuff that was exposed to water and sun is on the bottom and serves to occupy 'space' and backing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a damn thing wrong with reversing it but I don't believe it's necessary. If this provides more confidence in your tackle then it's a good thing. It's some sort of mystical deal but it's real: More confidence/more fish.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not anything you need to worry about Tommyboy. Strip 10 feet of line and put on a new fluorocarbon leader and your good for the Big Windy.

You should be using Suffix 382 anyway.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not anything you need to worry about Tommyboy. Strip 10 feet of line and put on a new fluorocarbon leader and your good for the Big Windy.

You should be using Suffix 382 anyway.

Says the guy who catches less fish than me.

Where can I get that? Is that a new line? Sounds like JUNK!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
PowerPro seems to be darn near bullet proof. I have some light stuff on an ice rod that's at least 5 years old, and the stuff on my two cat rods is over a decade. If something gets frayed or worn, I spool off a dozen yards or so, snip it and get to the fresh stuff. Never had issues.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75