Making Sausage

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went ahead and ordered a few sausage mixes from OwensBBQ.com. I noticed that they are all "fresh sausage mixes". I ordered the Jalapeno Brat mix for some duck brats, Hot pork sausage mix for my venison breakfast sausage, and I also order the Italian Sausage mix that i was going to make into breakfast sausage. So, I have made lots of sausage in the past, but the mixes that I got always used had the pink cure packets with them. My question is, since these mixes are "fresh sausage mixes" and I am wanting to smoke all my sausage, how much of the pink cure do I need to buy for 100 pounds of sausages?

Also, has anyone tried these mixes? any reviews?

tatonka3a2

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question is, since these mixes are "fresh sausage mixes" and I am wanting to smoke all my sausage, how much of the pink cure do I need to buy for 100 pounds of sausages?

Thanks for the order! This is Tanya Owens with Owens BBQ. You will want to follow the manufactures directions depending on what cure you buy. But I can tell you that the Speed Cure "Pink Cure" that we carry on the site you would use 1oz for 25lbs of meat. So 4oz for 100lbs of meat.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the county style and philly cheese from Owens and they turned out great ! very happy ,, I had the same problem as you wondering about the pink cure.. I ended up going to a meat shop(D&M meats) in bismarck and told them what i wanted and they measured out enough cure for my pounds of sausage.. I think it was only like a buck or something cheap for the cure...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are freezing it after stuffing or smoking, rapid cool down and then freezing, you probably do not need; however, I usually do on anything I will be smoking. Instacure #1 for items that are going to be cooked, smoked,etc... and eaten or frozen, canned, etc... for later eating or final cooking like your sausage you are making. Instacure #2 for dry aging meats that will not be cooked. It contains the same amount of sodium nitrite as #1 along with sodium nitrate that converts to sodium nitrite during the drying and aging process. Measurement is 1 level tsp per 5#s of meat for both cures. I use #2 for cold smoking jerkey.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 69