making my own jigs, trapping and keeping my own minnows

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well the warmth in the air has me wanting to chase walleyes on the river banks again, so this year i decided to make my own jigs since i go through so many in a spring trying to fish in the rocks.. and also ill be trapping and keeping my own minnows so you guys that have done all this what am i doing wrong or what will i be doing wrong, we have a lot of minnows in a creek up here so im gonna throw the minnow trap in there to catch them, just put bread in the trap and they will fill up? also i bought a bubbler for an old cooler we have. going to mount bubbler on lid and run hoses into it cooler for minnows http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QFY3AU/?tag=nodakangler10-20

this is the bubbler i bought, and also bought suction cups to hold plastic tubing in place, what do i need for water? pull it from creek? also do you need to feed the minnows or do they sustain by themselves, and how often to i need to change water?

now the jigs, not sure what to do on the hooks yet, picked up some gamakatsu 3-0 90 degree and some mustad 2-0 90 degree, bought lead and a do it molds hot pot 2 with a ladle and also a do its mold round ball jig head mold in a 1/2 and 3/8 ouce heads, then i bought a few different color of powder paint to put on the jigs once they are poured... from what i have heard heat the jig heads up put them in the powder paint and shake it off so you dont have a thick coating then bake them... from what i read to cure the paint 350 degrees for 45 minutes will do it for ya... this is what im planning on doing for this stuff if you guys have any pointers let me know, thanks!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u are able to leave the minnows in the creek they will keep for a long time. I used to have a creek by my old place that had a bunch of minnows. I took a 5 gallon pail and drilled a bunch of little holes in it and kept it in the with the minnows that I had caught. Just pull out a couple scoops when u need them.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u are able to leave the minnows in the creek they will keep for a long time. I used to have a creek by my old place that had a bunch of minnows. I took a 5 gallon pail and drilled a bunch of little holes in it and kept it in the with the minnows that I had caught. Just pull out a couple scoops when u need them.

how do you catch the minnows just a trap with some bait of some sort?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen a youtube vid where a guy made a bait bag out of window screen and hung it in the middle if the trap like they do for crab fishing on deadliest catch than the minnows don't steal it or the current wash it away (he was trapping Creek chubs).

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thread is titled "DIY jig painting". If you are pouring your own jigs, make sure you have a good cutter to trim off the excess lead. You can get some very interesting shapes if you don't get it all off. Also, if you goof up with a pour, don't sweat it, just hold the jig by the hook with a needle nose pliers and dip back into the lead pot. The lead will remelt and you can start over. Be sure to have VERY GOOD ventilation when you're pouring and try to clean the slag off the top of the pot. The slag can clog the molds and make life interesting. I can get about 8-10 reps out of my mold before I have to stop and let the mold cool off. PM me if you have any questions, I'm sure there are more little lessons I've learned the hard way that I could probably keep you from repeating. Have fun, it's addicting!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get some powder paint for the white base coat. That's a PITA with an airbrush. Now kdm, would it work to dip the jig right after you pour it? Or isn't that hot enough for that powder paint.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i tried pouring a few jigs last night and after trial and error i am starting to get it down, i figured out the whole using a needle nose to put the hook in the pot to melt the screwed up lead on. so now it came to the painting part... heated up my jigs dipped it in powder and shook it from size to size... came out like a pink tumor with a hook in it...... how do i make this go much better?! ill check out that forum Kirk

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not hot enough right out of the mold. The lead cools almost instantly at the start, which is nice because you can get them out of the mold really quick. The longer you leave them in the mold the hotter the mold gets and then you get problems like leak though or layering. Leak through is what I call it when lead seeps between the mold halves and you get "Fins" along the center line of the jig head. Layering happens when some of the lead cools at a different speed which gives you a lumpy or lined appearance. With the powder paint, only the very outside of the jig needs to be hot. If it's not, the paint won't melt and you get a "Fuzzy" appearance. This isn't the end of the world as all you have to do is CAREFULLY add more heat. You will see the paint melt and the "Fuzzyness" disappear. Be careful not to add too much heat as you can burn the paint and then you get all kinds of weird looking finishes. An air bed would be very helpful when painting as well, but at over a hundred bucks for one, I'd rather get a couple thousand more hooks for jigs then have a perfect finish. I know you can make them, but for me, even though I might use a little more paint, I get a nice finish without one. The walleyes where I fish don't seem to care about perfection on the color.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
im going to take a picture when i get home and show you my first ever powder coated jig.. this thing should be on a wall of shame somewhere.. over headed the jig so lead melted and started to run a bit and then painted it and the paint job is horrible! its gonna be a walleye slaying jig if i've ever seen one!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's quite a few videos on YouTube for DIY fluid beds. Couple 2" connections and an aquarium aerator and you're in business! I'll be trying my hand at building one this evening

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i tried pouring a few jigs last night and after trial and error i am starting to get it down, i figured out the whole using a needle nose to put the hook in the pot to melt the screwed up lead on. so now it came to the painting part... heated up my jigs dipped it in powder and shook it from size to size... came out like a pink tumor with a hook in it...... how do i make this go much better?! ill check out that forum Kirk

Tip the paint jar upside down and then right side up. This will "Fluff" the paint. The jigs should easily dip into the paint. If you are pushing and swirling the jig around in the paint, you will get clumps of paint which isn't what you want. Immediately after you dip the jig, hold the jig "Head Up" and let the melted paint smooth out over the entire jig. If you hold it head to the side you will get lopsided paint and if you hold it down, you get "The reservoir tip" look. Keep in mind that the larger jigs will take a bit more attention to get them uniformly hot and painted. Don't hesitate to give me a shout. I'd be glad to help you figure your system out if I can.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member

i did pick up a few colors right away to just try it out, but i will have to keep this company in mind for sure.. also i did end up ordering a filter last night as it had just crossed my mind i better have a filter and not just a bubbler..

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
im going to take a picture when i get home and show you my first ever powder coated jig.. this thing should be on a wall of shame somewhere.. over headed the jig so lead melted and started to run a bit and then painted it and the paint job is horrible! its gonna be a walleye slaying jig if i've ever seen one!

I truly want to see this first one. Makes me smile. Last winter I started tying some trebles with some feathers and mylar streamers, dubbin, etc. The first few looked like something caught in a Kleenex after a vicious sneeze.

dressed trebles.jpg

They got better, later.

By the way, those two cranks are some early dirtymikes.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I truly want to see this first one. Makes me smile. Last winter I started tying some trebles with some feathers and mylar streamers, dubbin, etc. The first few looked like something caught in a Kleenex after a vicious sneeze.

20161018_221823.jpg

They got better, later.

By the way, those two cranks are some early dirtymikes.

Definitely not my best work!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69