How do you deal with "anti's"

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like recently there has been a lot of backlash on hunters and attacks by anti-hunters. In my opinion Instagram has both helped and hurt hunters. On one hand, it gives a medium to share experiences, stories, tips and harvests. It has given young people a resource for exposure and community. On the other hand, it has given plenty of antihunters ammunition (I use that word with every bit of irony intended) against us. It has also given "celebrities" who are against hunting a platform to rally their troops.

Most of the time I see hunters get caught off guard by opposition. They tend to be surprised by the fact someone would challenge them and then get angry. It turns into a name calling match and both sides end much more polarized than they started.

What is your "elevator speech" or go-to response for anti-hunters? How would you handle a confrontational situation?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Respectfully. Always keep your cool. Let them get mad and start insulting people so they look like the ass.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree to disagree. You can't win an argument with most of those people.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lettuce is a living growing part of Gods creation too

Judge me, lest you be judged

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, Tally up how much money you have spent on licenses and tags and anything else to do with wildlife conservation all your life. Once you've figured that out simply ask them, "how much money have you put towards conservation of wildlife and promotion of wildlife habitat?" when they say "uhh none" simply tell them the number that you came up with and then tell them when they get to that number they can then contact you and you'll have that discussion....

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It always amazes me that some people think that hunting is all of a sudden, a new, and wrong thing. There is a difference between hunting and killing, and I think the "killers" are what cause these issues.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
It always amazes me that some people think that hunting is all of a sudden, a new, and wrong thing. There is a difference between hunting and killing, and I think the "killers" are what cause these issues.

Exactly.

Defending slob hunters is about the worst thing to do. Many do it, even on here. Of course by saying that many will label me a liberal or whatever.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never really ran in to one. Not sure what I'd do there than tell them that I really like back straps, summer sausage and jerky. Pheasants pair up great with stir fry and cats really love goose breast :;:.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I deal with this a lot with my line of work in the coal industry. We travel a lot and the issue comes up a lot when people find out what I do and then it is fun dispelling the myths, most walk away with a different way of thinking about things versus what they hear on the news or papers.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a saying on my desk that goes along with this and deal with anti's...
Arguing with anti's is like playing chess with a pigeon... no matter how good you are, the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

but in all seriousness i have only had to deal with 1 anti face to face, and she said she wasnt an anti she just thought the killing of animals for enjoyment was terrible and that taking pictures smiling and all happy behind a dead creature was the devils work... i calmly reminded her to go tittysprinkle herself and keep her nose out of my business.... she came back with an entire sentence of overly used smart person words, and i used my ignorant cussing because i just didnt have the time to try and fix stupid, and it was just not a good day to deal with anti's...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Humans are part of nature too. We are creatures on this planet. Hunting is just part of being part of nature.

Now PDog hunting, Coyote tournaments, well... I would tell them that to understand life in the country, you'd just have to live there. These are the types of activities I do not partake in, but have no problem with people that do. I've shot dogs, but its rather boring to me.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a side note, I haven't encountered much anti-hunting propaganda since I moved back to ND, but it was definitely an issue in the Minneapolis suburb I lived in for a while.

The reason I started this thread isn't so much asking for advice, but raising a conversation. I feel like actively engaging in open conversation about the topic can not only keep us on our toes, but also share information that may be helpful in a discussion.

I know how easy it is to want to tell someone "where to go", but I also think it is important that the hunting community represents itself like the educated conservationists we are (well most of us).

Bow- I love the Cameron Hanes/ Joe Rogan podcasts. Steven Rinella is also a pretty good one. An interesting point of view from an ex militant vegan turned hunter is the interview with Tovar Cerulli.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think most of them are a lot like the jackwagons video taping cops trying to provoke a confrontation. As hard as it may be (especially when they start shedding clothes), best to just ignore them.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

Prairie Dog KILLA in da hizzy!!!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a saying on my desk that goes along with this and deal with anti's...
Arguing with anti's is like playing chess with a pigeon... no matter how good you are, the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

but in all seriousness i have only had to deal with 1 anti face to face, and she said she wasnt an anti she just thought the killing of animals for enjoyment was terrible and that taking pictures smiling and all happy behind a dead creature was the devils work... i calmly reminded her to go tittysprinkle herself and keep her nose out of my business.... she came back with an entire sentence of overly used smart person words, and i used my ignorant cussing because i just didnt have the time to try and fix stupid, and it was just not a good day to deal with anti's...

I do think as a group (hunters) post too many and some pictures that are too graphic and in poor taste. Some pictures to me are more personnel and do NOT need to be in places for the whole world to see. Don't get me wrong I enjoy looking at pictures of a successful hunt as much as anyone. But some pictures are just AMMO for the ANTIS.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do think as a group (hunters) post too many and some pictures that are too graphic and in poor taste. Some pictures to me are more personnel and do NOT need to be in places for the whole world to see. Don't get me wrong I enjoy looking at pictures of a successful hunt as much as anyone. But some pictures are just AMMO for the ANTIS.

The thing about it is that there is zero context of those pictures. The same can be said about hunting television. I really enjoy about 10% of what I see on TV. The remaining 90% or so show a compilation of kill shots. Well yes, that does make us look like a bunch of thrill killers. When all you see is a compilation of elk kills and some guys hooting and hollering you lose the context.

For example,
deer.jpg
To me, this photo represents a lot of things. It represents many hours of shooting my bow. It represents many, many trips to stands checking cameras and learning the habits of my prey. It represents every hunting lesson or discussion about hunting with my uncle who taught me how to bow hunt. It represents quality time with my wife and a new experience for her. It reminds me of my wifes first real experience of where her food comes from. It represents a connection to the outdoorsmen and the pioneers who settled our area. And finally it reminds me of a freezer full of healthy, lean, free range, organic that will sustain my family. That is why we are SMILING!

But, without that context, an anti-hunter sees two people who are happy to have murdered an animal. The pictures, even to someone not necessarily an anti-hunter but a non-hunter, can seem quite graphic without the context.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the hate for hunting/hunters stems from the complete disconnect of where FOOD actually comes from. It's comical that people see a harvested deer and think that person is doing it just to see an animal die. If they would only look up massive cattle farms. Or how about the "vegetarian" who has no idea that they feed their cats/dogs DEAD ANIMALS in their food. They're simply clueless.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67