Line Counter Crank rods??

Steny22

Just wondering what you guys find as your favorite combos are? I fished more pulling cranks last year then I ever have but need some new gear. I was a fan of pulling lead core to get the smaller baits down deeper. Just wondering what you guys that pull more typically like better?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels Extreme trolling rods
Tekota 300 LC reels
10# Fireline Crystal

Should get you started

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont see the point personally, but I dont often crank in more than 12 feet of water. Let the line out till you start bouncing bottom occasionally, then reel it in a bit and you are good. Maybe for fishing salmon with leadcore or something it might be helpful tho....

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels Trolling Rods - the new line up they will have this year are very nice! (if you are looking for some prior year used models send me a PM :) )
Diawa Accudepth Line Counter Reels - size 17, 27, or 47. The size will depend on what line and how much line you plan on using.
Line - either 10# Fireline or Leadcore, depends on the water depth you are targeting.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rods - Scheels or Jason Mitchell 14' rods for the outside. Shorties or any good stiff trolling rod for the inside. Shorties are harder to handle fish (until you get used to them), but also result in less tangles as lines are spread out more. 14'er's are beasts but a blast to use and spread your lures nice and wide. When getting long 2 piece rods, always make sure that when you break them apart to fold them down and you reel the line tight the tip of the upper piece should be shorter than the handle on the bottom piece. This will save you from breaking tips. Rods where the tip extends beyond the handle when reeled tight IMO are poorly designed.

Reels - Diawa Gold series or the new Abu Garcia's. The Gold's line counter system is more accurate and holds up better than their cheaper model. The new Abu's are awesome in that if you real backwards when you have a fish on it cuts the drag in half. Great for when you get a really big fish or tough fighter on.

Leadcore - Cabela's 18pound is the standard for most books that have charts. The new Berkley line Suffix is gaining ground. Don't cheap out. Cheaper leadcores when stretched tend to result in the lead popping out of the cloth. We use 20ft leads of 14lb fireline connected to the leadcore with a willis knot. Powerpro or other more limp lines won't work with a willis know as you need to be able to feed it into the leadcore sheath.

Steny22

Thanks guys awesome help I end up getting Scheels rods with 20% off and just had them spool it for me!

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you get the included Okuma reels? Alot of guys on here have had issues with them, as I have. The Daiwa sealines or Shimano Tekotas are the way to go.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rods - scheels trolling rods - be sure to keep 4' spread from tip to tip, example 10' and 6' rods (keeps you from tangling)

reels - I started with the scheels reels (okuma's) and they are ok but not as smooth as i like a reel to feel so i have switched to the diawa sealines... i run leadcore and a lot of it (100 yards) so i use the size 47 sealine... the big okumas actually fit that much line better than the sealine

Line - 100 feet of power pro depth hunter 15# (backing) - 100 yards (300 feet) of suffix 838 advanced lead core - and a 30 foot leader of power pro slick 8 15# (brown pref) - i use knots to attach each line, I don't like the idea of a swivel going through the eyes of my rod

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two 8'6'' telescoping scheels rods with their scheels branded okuma reels. They work just fine, but I have one linecounter that's starting to get a little finicky. I will be picking up two 5' shorty's and throw on some tekotas for lead core. Ill run those off the back of the boat. and send the big ones out with/without a planer board. Huffranger has good suggestions and usually costs me money.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two 8'6'' telescoping scheels rods with their scheels branded okuma reels. They work just fine, but I have one linecounter that's starting to get a little finicky. I will be picking up two 5' shorty's and throw on some tekotas for lead core. Ill run those off the back of the boat. and send the big ones out with/without a planer board. Huffranger has good suggestions and usually costs me money.

Take a good look at the new Abu's for reels. The ability to reel backwards and have the drag cut in half is especially nice on shorties where the shortness of the rod results in a loss of fish playing ability.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a good look at the new Abu's for reels. The ability to reel backwards and have the drag cut in half is especially nice on shorties where the shortness of the rod results in a loss of fish playing ability.

will do. thanks for the heads up.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried a bunch of different cranking rods over the years. The best for the buck I've found are the Daiwa Heartland telescopic rods. I am running more Daiwa Sealine Linecounters all the time.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
My two Scheels Outfitters cranking reels (used sparingly the past 10yrs I've owned them) seem to give me problems when reeling in a fish. The drag wheel will partially turn the same direction as I reel in, which means it lightens up the drag. Eventually, after eight to ten revolutions, the drag is so light I'm unable to continue reeling in and have to manually tight the drag wheel again.

I don't know if this is a lubrication issue?? I've never pulled them apart and investigated; always dealt with it as it happened. Anyone have similar issues like this?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62