Free Speech and Guns: Son Arrested for Wearing NRA T-Shirt, Mom Sues School

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
nra.jpg
Here's an interesting story out of West Virginia about a student (and his mother) who are refusing to be silenced by the idiocy of school officials who had him suspended and arrested for wearing a shirt with an NRA logo.

From EAGNews.org:
Tanya Lardieri filed the lawsuit on behalf of her son, Jared Marcum, who was charged with disrupting the educational process and obstructing an officer in 2013 when he refused to turn his NRA t-shirt inside-out, the Charleston Gazette reports.
Those charges were later dismissed by a judge, but Marcum was forced to serve a one day suspension for his defiance.
“The shirt was an un-alarming olive green tee shirt bearing the NRA logo, which is the letters ‘NRA’ in black, the words ‘PROTECT YOUR RIGHT,’ an image of a hunting rifle and the officials NRA logo which has an eagle and two cross firearms,” according to the lawsuit cited by the Gazette.
You can read the rest of the story here. His unwillingness to cede his rights in the face of silly, and unwarranted, authoritarianism is one we should all take to heart.

realdeals

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cringe when I read of such things in our schools! Dress codes... Ok, I get it and if it specifies no such affiliations with groups like the NRA, well, we must contest those rules, not break them. When a young kid gets in hock for biting his Pop Tart into a gun shape... that's way over the line and absolutely ridiculous! I just heard that the Boy Scouts of America are disallowing water gun fights yet lifting their ban on homosexual scout leaders... just where this country is heading seems obvious from its wonderful example we are getting from the top. I won't get political but just where is our freedom of speech? Shirts? Really?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cringe when I read of such things in our schools! Dress codes... Ok, I get it and if it specifies no such affiliations with groups like the NRA, well, we must contest those rules, not break them. When a young kid gets in hock for biting his Pop Tart into a gun shape... that's way over the line and absolutely ridiculous! I just heard that the Boy Scouts of America are disallowing water gun fights yet lifting their ban on homosexual scout leaders... just where this country is heading seems obvious from its wonderful example we are getting from the top. I won't get political but just where is our freedom of speech? Shirts? Really?

:;:exactly

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice to see people suing for the right things, such as our freedoms and amendment rights instead of some frivolous million dollar lawsuit because somebody found a hair in their doughnut from the grocery store.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74