Trolling Motor For Pontoon - Missouri River

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one can spot lock/hold me in the current? 22' boat 2 oversized tubes.

Any hope of trolling against current with one?

looking for recommendations. Thanks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe one of the 101. I would just back troll against the current.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one can spot lock/hold me in the current? 22' boat 2 oversized tubes.

Any hope of trolling against current with one?

looking for recommendations. Thanks

i'd guess no... i'll use up my 2 interstate 30's with a 80# terrova on a 20' twin tube on devils on a breezy day...

like kurt said, maybe a 101 or 112... got a REALLY good buddy with one??? i'd sure want to try one b4 dropping 20 some bens on a new one...

i'm thinking about selling mine and upgrading to a 3 tube 20', and am trying to talk myself into thinking another 80 will pull it around...

please keep us posted...

good luck...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the terrova 101 on my 20 ft lund, it spot locks my boat on the Missouri and will troll it up stream, can't imagine your pontoon would be much harder on it, weight wise it's probably lighter, and less of a foot print in the water, at least I would think

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
s7_018091_imageset_03

maybe with one of these on the big motor??? an 80 on each end might do it...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
s7_018091_imageset_03

maybe with one of these on the big motor??? an 80 on each end might do it...

I have thought about one of those but I think I have used the trolling motor 4 times in the 5 years I have had the toon so I just can't pull the trigger.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to see someone come out with same GPS technology for a gas kicker that they have for electric motors. Or is it out there already ?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, we're narrowing it down a bit! Need a 36v 112lb system, CHECK, likely the 60" shaft CHECK. Pretty sure that means terrova, CHECK. Don't need auto deploy bs as that's what wife and kids are for....... Well that and the fact I have a 22 sf which doesn't have much of a front platform, so the front 1/2 door has gotta be opened prior to deployment.

can the base and shaft be mounted completely horizontal? (vs the 45 degrees most appear to be mounted at the bow of a typical fishin boat) if so, this would keep it out of the pontoon. Then deploy and rotate the head? if you haven't noticed, I don't know jack about this.

main difference between ipilot and ipilot link?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The second pic is the layout I'm dealing with. The first pic is almost like mine, cept I have a live well in front of the console

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, we're narrowing it down a bit! Need a 36v 112lb system, CHECK, likely the 60" shaft CHECK 45 would do it for depth, but a 60 will bring the head above the rail most of the time which will give you the best connection between the remote and the motor head... Pretty sure that means terrova, check motorgide as well... Don't need auto deploy bs as that's what wife and kids are for....... Well that and the fact I have a 22 sf which doesn't have much of a front platform, so the front 1/2 door has gotta be opened prior to deployment. It will, but the terrova, if mounted on a removable mount, will be far enough ahead to close the gate i believe...

can the base and shaft be mounted completely horizontal? (vs the 45 degrees most appear to be mounted at the bow of a typical fishin boat) will have to set it up there and check, but if the motor shaft will clear the point of the toon. the motor head should b below the bottom of the toon... if so, this would keep it out of the pontoon. Then deploy and rotate the head? if you haven't noticed, I don't know jack about this.

main difference between ipilot and ipilot link? link will link to a humminbird graph... read up...

- - - Updated - - -

11210392_880703508733099_6164926025945646280_n.jpg

20161018_221815.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The second pic is the layout I'm dealing with. The first pic is almost like mine, cept I have a live well in front of the console

great design... i love mine...

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to see someone come out with same GPS technology for a gas kicker that they have for electric motors. Or is it out there already ?

You can do all the things you can with an electric motor with the right smart gauges and graph.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can do all the things you can with an electric motor with the right smart gauges and graph.

I suppose the only catch is $$$ and lots of it. My camping boat is a 26' Sea ray for now I use a 3' extension on the tiller handle actually doesn't work that bad but there's better ways. I missed out on a used sailboat kicker that was all remote but it sold within an hour of being listed.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
great design... i love mine...

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that once deployed, I'd be able to close the door, but yea, mounting it outside the cockpit (what is it?) would be the most ideal. Likely need the 72" shaft to get below the toons no?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine mounted straight out with the quick release plate. I can close the door when it is deployed. I does run back right down the middle when not out which is why I never use it or even have it with 99% of the time. It is a 60" shaft. Back troll with drift sock out front is pretty much it. If I want to anchor one in front and back. Spot lock won't work unless dead calm. Lay out his pretty much the same in my toon to as yours.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although your footprint on the water surface is small, you have a lot of surface area above water to catch the wind. Spot lock would be tough. A couple of anchors would be much cheaper. You can spend the rest of the money on a lesser poundage of trolling motor for those calm days.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that once deployed, I'd be able to close the door, but yea, mounting it outside the cockpit (what is it?) would be the most ideal. Likely need the 72" shaft to get below the toons no?

just like this...

9k=

you want to play with it in the working and stowed positions b4 you bolt it down to check all clearances... some are straight out the front, some centered but cocked to one side, and some mounted straight but off center like this one... no rules on this, makes no difference...

60" has been plenty for me as a toon will not bounce like a boat will in waves...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'd mount this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E8DQI6/?tag=nodakangler10-20
right about where that white sheet of paper is in the boat pic, but centered?

i think I've settled on a terrova 112 60" shaft ipilot

yup... just make sure to mount the motor to the plate, slide the mounted motor/plate combo onto the base, THEN determine where the base needs to be mounted to the boat... THIS IS IMPORTANT - CHECK CLEARANCE OF MOTOR SHAFT FROM THE FRONT RAIL OF THE BOAT WHEN THE MOTOR IS DOWN, AND THE CLEARANCE OF THE MOTOR HEAD (PROP END) WHEN IT IS COMPLETELY STOWED SO IT DOESN'T HIT THE RAILS... when you find the sweet spot, mark the corners with a pen so you will know where it needs to go...

also, try to get through some metal underneath if you can and not just through the wood... if you can't get through any metal, get some flat steel (like 2"x12" (or whatever the distance is between the mounting holes you are going through + ~4") x at least 16 gauge metal... aluminum would be best, and i'd go 1/4" thick... you can buy it in most hardware stores in 3 & 4' lengths...

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering about using some steel plate as a backer! I'll def be doin that. Well, today was an expensive boat day, sans (shout out!) the h2oh.....

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wishing u lived near bis raider. Not only knowledgable (not like, dean knowledgeable, but nonetheless) but u seem like the kinda guy that could be bribed into assisting You in hooking this shit up. U know, bribed, by way of alcoholic beverages and/or prepared meats :D

crap, almost forgot, I should probably get that trolling motor ordered at this point eh?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering about using some steel plate as a backer! I'll def be doin that. Well, today was an expensive boat day, sans (shout out!) the h2oh.....

ATT00001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wishing u lived near bis raider. Not only knowledgable (not like, dean knowledgeable, but nonetheless) but u seem like the kinda guy that could be bribed into assisting You in hooking this shit up. U know, bribed, by way of alcoholic beverages and/or prepared meats :D

crap, almost forgot, I should probably get that trolling motor ordered at this point eh?

ya, i'd give u a hand if i was closer...

don't forget jumpers for your 36 volt system...

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
20160414_202546.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Decent spot? I figure as centered and as far forward as possible. Looks like I'm going to be able to run the wires through the existing hole, under the boat, and up front to the troller. Stay tuned.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62