Prairie Dogs

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has a prairie dog population that they would like help controlling? Myself, my brother, and my father have never done it and we always have wanted to give it a whirl. We would be respectful of your property and pickup any mess that we would happen to make (brass, and other things) and would be careful of our surroundings so that we don't endanger any property or livestock. If anyone could be of any assistance please let me know. Thanks.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game and fish have population maps, should be able to find plots land or ask for permission.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to spend the money, buy a rez liscences and a map. It shows the dog towns and there are quite a few of them. Not sure where your located, or what the cost is. Just my input. Since you were asking.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat as you last year but I spent a lot of gas money driving around looking for dog towns and when I spotted one I looked up the land owner in a plat book or at the county recorders office and contacted them for permission. Nobody turned me down unless they had reserved the spot for someone and even those told me to come back after the other party was done. A couple even offered me $100 if I shot the last dog. ;-) Their money is pretty safe. I made a list of dog towns I found and managed to find about a dozen in just one year. I haven't hunted all of them yet but I'm hoping to get to most of them sometime this summer. I actually found a couple of the towns using Google 'Maps'. If you know what to look for and zoom in you can actually see some of the towns from satellite. Some advice I would give you is don't show up with a carload of shooters, I think it makes the ranchers a bit nervous. I usually go alone or with just one other person who's judgement I trust. Nearly all the pastures I hunted had cattle or sheep or horses in and around the dog towns and one had all three so you have to convince the owner that you will know where your bullets will go. If you have a carload of shooters everyone is banging away in different directions and it only takes one bad ricochete to get in trouble. I was shocked that several of the land owners had cattle shot by hunters and still let me hunt on their land. Must be my handsome face. ;-) Oh one other thing, every pdog town in the county has been spotted and marked by someone already so by the end of July any dog left alive will be college educated and after the first shot sometimes you'll have to wait half an hour for the next shot. That's another reason why I like to hunt alone. When the pups come out in the spring a cannon won't scare them down the holes. I've heated up my barrel so hot a few times that I couldn't touch it. That's when it's fun.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a kid with you, its hard to turn down a kid wanting to do some shooting....

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
LIke grea8outdoors said if you buy a res tag it's easy to how out. That said they dramatically changed the price from $50 to $150 so it's getting a little pricey for my blood. Lots of towns in morton county if you put on some miles. This is the map he spoke of with all the black and brown blotches are dog towns. Would say it's missing about 40% of the towns that are there. If you find on the map with a white background you are legal to go in. If it's green, yellow or red behind it best stay clear without a res tag.

20160309_202635.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you only need a res tag if you hunt res land, not private land located on the res.... Ive never purchased one and didnt have any problems shooting on private land on the res.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
someone told me this week they saw an ad in a local farm mag about wanting people to come in to shoot pd's...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77