Anyone using the Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch?

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just upgraded from an antique Lowrance. Just wondering what lake chip everyone is using. was looking at getting the Lowrance Lake Insight chip to take advantage of the 1 years free subscription for Insight Genesis that comes with it. Anyone using this? OR can you steer me to something better.

Thanks
Cliff

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm doing the same thing as you. Just finishing up installing the new stuff and trying to decide what maps to use. I've heard good things about Lakemaster in the past, too bad they went exclusive with Humminbird.

If I manage to make up my mind I'll let you know how it turns out.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least for the Minnesota lakes I fish Insight Genesis maps are EXACTLY the same as the old Lakemaster chips. I love my Gen II touch, especially with the side and down scan. Widescreen is so much nicer.

ndfishin15

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use an HDS 7 Gen 2 touch and I bought a Lake Insight v15 chip for it. I usually only fish three bodies of water Darling, Audubon, and Sakakawea and it is great on Darling and Audubon showing 3ft contours I believe. I was surprised to see that most of Sakakawea is fairly accurate as well from the west end through van hook. I never tried the east end with it though. Of course Sakakawea only has 10 foot contours or so in most places but it lets me see the spots so I can go directly to it and gives a decent outline of the structure such as flats in Van Hook. Sure beats trying to find flats like 8lb when there aren't other boats marking it. I am happy with it.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the replies! I got a heck of a deal on mine from Cabelas, was on sale for $699 with a $100 rebate plus $50 in Cabelas points. It's coming with HDI right now but I'm going to upgrade to Structure Scan next time I have some extra cash.

I've been doing some comparisons between the different chips and it seems that the Lake Insight chip offers more HD maps for ND than Lake Master. The Navionics and Lake Master chip seem to run neck and neck for HD maps for ND.

Thanks for the offer Rizzo, my unit doesn't arrive until next week. If you aren't using it in a couple of weeks I'll take you up on the offer.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you guys run across just the head unit of an hds7 gen 2, let me know. I need something to pair up with the motorguide

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the replies! I got a heck of a deal on mine from Cabelas, was on sale for $699 with a $100 rebate plus $50 in Cabelas points. It's coming with HDI right now but I'm going to upgrade to Structure Scan next time I have some extra cash.

I've been doing some comparisons between the different chips and it seems that the Lake Insight chip offers more HD maps for ND than Lake Master. The Navionics and Lake Master chip seem to run neck and neck for HD maps for ND.

Thanks for the offer Rizzo, my unit doesn't arrive until next week. If you aren't using it in a couple of weeks I'll take you up on the offer.

Be aware that you cannot use the old Lakemaster chips in Gen II Lowrance's. And new Lakemaster chips are for Humminbird only.

I run Lake Insight on my touch at the dash and old Lakemaster on my Gen I HDS up front, ethernet together to share waypoints, and I can even send my downscan and sidescan sonar images from my touch to my old Gen I up front.

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. What ndfishin15 said. :;:thumbsup I use Navionics+chip for Sak though. I have 1 yr of updates and i can pick the lakes I fish including MN and SD. Love the Structure Scan!

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried out the DoctorSonar chip for Sak? $100 is steep for a single lake, but if you're fishing it all the time maybe it's worth it.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Has anyone tried out the DoctorSonar chip for Sak? $100 is steep for a single lake, but if you're fishing it all the time maybe it's worth it.

I've seen it in action. I like it, but I would not want it as my only map. It would be slick to have it on a 2nd unit next to a unit running Navionics imo.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mine came with a new insight HD west card but I don't think I will be using it unless I need a backup for my other unit, which I doubt I will.

Dirty Mike, you missed out on the deal scheels had. The gen2 touches were $600 dollars after $100 gift card and $100 mail in rebate.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just purchased on this spring. Currently I am using just factory maps for fishing the river, but i have a navionics chip for it if my buddy ever gives it back

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
like some out of my league women, touch capability would be nice.

Touche, but I was wondering about compatibility with your MG motor? I haven't done the research of what is compatible, as I don't own that setup.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Touche, but I was wondering about compatibility with your MG motor? I haven't done the research of what is compatible, but I don't own that setup.

I haven't done much either knowing I won't be putting a graph on this year. I know you need the gateway cable to really make it effective for gps/contour teamwork. I can hook up any graph to use the transducer though.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPS dropped me off a present tonight! It wasn't suppose to be here until Tuesday next week, but they dropped it off tonight!

Been playing with it a little, it does not like a weak battery! I tried a 12v 7AH battery off the Vex, that worked for about 2 minutes into the setup and then the touch screen stopped working. I had to get one of my fully charged batteries off the charger to get the touch screen to work right.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seis, order an extra power cable and 110 plug in with a 2 amp fuse built in. I can plug my graph in while I sit on the couch and game plan.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77