How to Increase Your Arrow’s Penetration with Weed-Whacker Line

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
scale.png

A large portion of the archery world has been obsessed with speed for quite a while now, and it has led to many bows that shoot well over 300 fps. In my experience, however, one huge factor in arrow penetration is arrow weight. Heavy arrows penetrate better that light arrows. The pendulum is starting to swing back, and I’m seeing a lot more folks opting for much heavier arrows, which are slightly slower. Sure, you have to adjust your sights or shooting, but the increased penetration is worth it for them.
There are several ways you can increase arrow weight. One way is by adding heavier points. But when you increase the weight on the front of a tuned set of arrows, it changes the dynamic spine, making your arrows flex more during the shot and altering their flight.
One of the easiest ways to add some thump to your setup—without changing the spine of your arrows—is to add internal weight. You can buy commercially made weight tubing that fits inside your arrow and adds significant weight without altering the flexibility of the arrow. But there’s an easier, cheaper way: You can use plastic weed whacker line to do the same thing.
weedwhacker.png

To prepare for his muskox hunt this week, my buddy Nick did this for his arrow setup. He was able to fit three strands of line inside the arrow shafts. They ran the full length of the shafts and increased his arrow weight from a solid 438 grains to a bone-crushing 563 grains: an increase of about 29 percent. This weight slowed the arrows a little bit, but they still fly like darts.
If you’re wondering how a heavier arrow will perform on game, give this cheap, easy method a try this season. Hopefully by the time you read this, there will already be a muskox on the ground that can testify to its effectiveness.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a great idea. I'd like to see some testing on this to see if it has any impact to the flight and/or spine of the arrow. I'm sitting at 502.4 grains now, but another 50 grains wouldn't hurt anything.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a good idea, my only concern is with arrow flight the vibrations,movement of coming of the bow, I would think that weed wacker line would be moving around inside the arrow hitting the sides and what now. Could be completely off base and make no sense but that is my uneducated arm chair scientist thoughts.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just buy heavier arrows like the full metal jackets

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
cheap and dirty way of doing it but plenty of better options out there if willing to plan ahead or spend a couple more $$.

Many tip inserts have threads on both sides that allow weights to be screwed into the back side. This improves your FOC balance which usually improves the arrows flight characteristics. This will weaken the spine a bit, but if you plan for it you just have to buy a stiffer arrow from the start.
This method allows you to keep the standard 100gr broadheads and points but can swap out weights to find the optimum arrow weight and spine.

Or just buy the products already out there that add weight to the shaft without changing spine or FOC. Keeps the arrow symmetric and comes in different gpi weights. $1 per arrow isn't bad.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rive...t-tubes.html?gclid=CJPbmpTMtssCFRIoaQod9boLzQ

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, after a little more research, it seems that traditional archers have been using this method for years with mixed results. So, if you're cheap and don't mind shitty arrow flight, it may work for you. Otherwise, might be better off with finding a heavier arrow with the right spine. You can add a lot of weight up front to get where you need to be. 400-500 grains is more than enough for any animal we'll hunt in the states (including moose).

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, after a little more research, it seems that traditional archers have been using this method for years with mixed results. So, if you're cheap and don't mind shitty arrow flight, it may work for you. Otherwise, might be better off with finding a heavier arrow with the right spine. You can add a lot of weight up front to get where you need to be. 400-500 grains is more than enough for any animal we'll hunt in the states (including moose).

^^This^^

Vinyl tubing, like IV tubes, also works well. Which reminds me, I need to build a bow.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im planning on getting a carbon fiber bow. Weedwackers just make too much noise for deer. Weedwackers do work great for wackin weeds though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73