Turkeys / Sheyenne grasslands / Unit 37

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just looking for a little advice as a very new turkey hunter. I have a tag for Unit 37, thinking I would spend most of the time in the grasslands. Well, I have been doing some scouting and am not turning up birds. I am not super familiar with the area and did most of my scouting in the northern portions of the grasslands around the river. My plan at this point is to just head in and hopefully get one to talk to me and get on them. I have no problems with putting miles on my boots either!!
Is there a good population of birds in the grasslands or should I be looking elsewhere?
Does the G&F have any population density maps? I have looked online, but cannot find any.
Advice welcome,
Thanks

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
The areas I would look for a population of turkeys are wooded corridors along a river. I'm a new resident of ND so I don't have very good advice but hopefully that can help ya out a little bit. Good luck and hopefully you can bag a big ole tom that comes gobbling and struttin in, if that happens you will be addicted

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot help with that unit but advice above seems sound and logical. Last year was my first turkey season in Nd and 1st in about 10 years. I drew unit 13, hunted Killdeer Mountains, funny how small a tree they will use to roost sometimes. Plowed fields and stubble fields close to cover held birds. I drew unit 27 this year and have seen birds in numerous locations while on my route but nothing today in the grasslands along the lake but I know they are there. Heard most gobbling in the 2 to sunset time frame last year. I struck out, those birds were hunted hard and I had one shot about 60 yards from me as I worked him. Guy who shot him and I missed crossing paths by about 15 minutes, such is hunting on public ground sometimes. Good luck!

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a lot of birds in the grass lands. I know where most of them are. I can't give u that info till my 7 year old fills his tag. But I can give u some general ideas on where to start send me a PM.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to put in this year but that is the zone I typically apply for. One thing about the grasslands is that it gets hunted very hard for the first few weekends.

Last year, I would get them to respond but they wouldn't come in. It is a lot of fun when they start gobbling at you. Best of luck

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77