Top Guide Out Of Alignment

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed the top line guide on one of my rods is about 90 degrees off line from the rest of the guides.

What's the fix?

Is it possible to carefully heat the base of the guide and rotate it back in line? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's not spinning with little effort, dip in boiling water for a bit. It might not even have to be that hot. You can get a repair kit at WalMart etc. I don't know what other adhesive to recommend. You want it solid not permanent in case of need of replacement.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
go to mudhole.com and in the rod repair section of the website there is a how-to video. In the video he heats the tip with a lighter and removes it. Most likely you could heat it a little bit and turn it with a plier. That's how I put the end guides on the rods that I build

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Replacing-a-Damaged-Tip-Top

here is a link to the vides

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had issues with hot melt glue. It has a tendency to melt the glue when it's 90 and sunny out. I've switched my tip-top glue to a 10 minute epoxy from Mudhole. If I have an eyelet that turned like that, I use an alcohol candle (burns clean) and warm it up carefully (heat is tough on a blank). I then take alcohol to the rod tip and clean the remaining residue off and re-glue with the 10 minute epoxy.

go to mudhole.com and in the rod repair section of the website there is a how-to video. In the video he heats the tip with a lighter and removes it. Most likely you could heat it a little bit and turn it with a plier. That's how I put the end guides on the rods that I build

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Replacing-a-Damaged-Tip-Top

here is a link to the vides

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a lighter and heat it for a second and twist it to where you need it. Doesn't take a lot of heat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damned if I'd hold a flame to a good rod. One of those "done it a thousand times" deals.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77