Rod for pitching jigs

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, here is kinda what I'm looking for; 6'9/10", MLXF. I'd like to stay in that $200 mark since I plan on pairing it with a nice reel. If there are other recommendations to specs, feel free share. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not the rod you have, It's how you wiggle your worm

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be interested in feed back as well. Last time I bought a rod for myself was almost 20 years ago- Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blades, they used to do buy 2 get 1 free. They have performed well but are getting beat up now. Sorry DM, that makes this thread 0-3.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
What weights are you thinking? Pitchin cranks/rippin raps too? could always use the 6'6" scheels walleye rod you have for pitchin (maybe slap a size 30 pflueger on it). Then buy a kickass 6 footer for vertical jigging with a size 25 on it? Just thinking out loud here.

Ive been happy with the ONE rods w/recoil guides. Occasionally can be had for 200 bucks.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You cant go wrong with a 6 foot medium action fast tip gloomis IMX.

MurphysLAW

Fenwick Aetos, scheels has a few on sale $100-140ish personally I like a MHXF for pitching little stiffer on the cast and with a rod as light as the aetos you know when anything bumps it right away fished with G loomis, st croix and Scheels one rods all nice, but I stick to my Aetos as go to.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What weights are you thinking? Pitchin cranks/rippin raps too? could always use the 6'6" scheels walleye rod you have for pitchin (maybe slap a size 30 pflueger on it). Then buy a kickass 6 footer for vertical jigging with a size 25 on it? Just thinking out loud here.

Ive been happy with the ONE rods w/recoil guides. Occasionally can be had for 200 bucks.

Thinking something for smaller sizes 1/8-5/16. I do like that 6'6" walleye series rod. And it does well for pitching, but I figured I'd get something a little longer to close the gap in my rod locker. The shorter stick for vertical jigging sounds like a great idea though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW - the reason I was a smarty and posted spongebuns popcorneaterpants is because all the rod model #s and stuff gets to be too much so I quit trying.

Once a "science guy", especially one who used to do a lot of coding and electronics stuff (ASCII, HEX, BINARY, BLAH FREAKIN BLAH BLAH BLAH), gets to around 50 or so you want to vomit when asked to recall any numbers. Passwords for 16 different accounts/bills makes it even worse.

I hope you find a good rod. At $200 I feel you can't really go wrong.

Unless Ugly Stick makes a $200 rod. Then you can go horribly wrong.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with you, guy. Which is why I set a price point and a few specs, hoping it would give a good direction. I have a 6'10" fenwick elite tech sitting in south dakota right now. I just haven't had a chance to go get it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking something for smaller sizes 1/8-5/16. I do like that 6'6" walleye series rod. And it does well for pitching, but I figured I'd get something a little longer to close the gap in my rod locker. The shorter stick for vertical jigging sounds like a great idea though.

My 6 foot IMX casts a country mile and is perfect for jigging and it has held up to alot of fishing since i bought it in 2000.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 13 rods are nice. My dad has one and I have used it quite a bit, works good. I personally use a 6'10" GLX with a Smoke reel and love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Come over and grab it sometime I'm not using it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find any rod longer than 6'6" starts to generate enough wind resistance to the point where it approaches "break even" for effort vs. distance casted.

6' = perfect jigger

6'-6" = perfect flinger

6'-10" to 7' = awesome slip bobber or for bigarse baits I rarely chuck

fishing in any kind current I'd hedge shorter... the long moment arm of the longer rods (>6'-6") in current sure gets old on the lady wrist God gave me

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76