Richardson's ground squirrels and a weasel playing in the same area.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old Century landfill, now a dog park is where I witnessed a weasel (in its winter coat) going down a hole in the ground occupied by a bunch of Richardson's ground squirrels. This seems very strange to me. Your thoughts??

Location is north on fourth street just south of the Montreal intersection on the east side of fourth street along the embankment there. You'll see all the mounds from the ground squirrels. Maybe a photographer would be interested in getting its photo there.....I had to do a double take; first because of seeing a weasel in town and secondly he was among strangers.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha Pound for pound Those little buggers are probably the meanest critter we have in ND. Was chased by a baby one once and had an adult run me out of an old threshing machine that I was playing on. Also a few years ago I brought in a pair of winter boots from my shed and one must have been taking a nap in one of the boots, He was in the house for a long time before we finally got him out . It didn't hurt a thing, We fed it tuna and it crapped in the same spot in the basement. When I told my Mom about it she freaked out. When she was little she heard about a baby that was killed by a weasel. I admit that I did sleep better after we finally got it out of the house.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weasels are awesome critters, so long as you don't plan on having anything nearby they may be interested in.

And hell yeah, that boy was going for the full ground squirrel buffet!

When I lived in Williston, one would come hang out with me in a natural ground blind made of deadfall trees SW of Williston. Curious little fart, and I never trusted him when he'd disappear about 10 feet away, only to reappear about 3 ft from my head. Obviously, he chose wisely.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Pound for pound...

Ha, I think you mean ounce for ounce. I'd be damn scared of one that was measured in pounds. LOL

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
The weasel was preying on them, we've caught them in our muskrat traps in the huts, in the middle of winter. I don't know how they get in but the lil devils do

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, I think you mean ounce for ounce. I'd be damn scared of one that was measured in pounds. LOL

These darn Pine Martens than snuck across the border are a couple pounds and I think they are killing machines. We used to have a lot of ruffed grouse up here but I haven't saw or heard one in about 10 years. Same with squirrels, I was actually happy to see a pair of them last summer. They haven't been around here all that long but they are very curious and not really scared of humans, My boy had one just a couple of feet from him when he was deer hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

Weasels dig in from the outside and mink will dig their way in one house and sometimes swim to the next hut. I used to enjoy losing a trapped muskrat to a mink, All you have to do is set another trap and your money ahead.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Have snared a couple while snaring gophers when younger. Always wondered about the tussle down in the burrows between them and the gopher.

The boys and a couple friends were snaring gophers a few years ago when they were about 12 and 15 or so and caught one. Pulled it out of the hole on the twine string and it started chasing them around, the one friend paniced and would not let go of the twine and the weasel kept chasing him. Was quite entertaining ot listen ot the tale!

- - - Updated - - -

Wolverine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84