How are you going to kill your turkey?

How do you plan to kill your turkey?

• Total voters

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turkeys have bigger spurs than I do so the roundhouse kick is too much of a fair fight for me. I'm bringing both the scattergun and the bow. The situation will dictate which one I use.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turkeys have bigger spurs than I do so the roundhouse kick is too much of a fair fight for me. I'm bringing both the scattergun and the bow. The situation will dictate which one I use.

I have a similar plan of attack, hoping to use the bow

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll probably let the boy use his shotgun, I'll most likely try the bow (the first time or two out anyway).

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
bow using these. sort of counts as a round house kick to the wattles - just not with my foot.

Bullhead100__14935.1308342447.1280.1280.jpg

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
plan on trying to get 1 with the ole 357. but will probably resort to scatter gun

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start with the bow. Once my boy fills his i may bring out the scatter gun.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 20s when my Dad was little Turkeys were hard to come across, They finally found some and when Dad went out to do chores he saw the Tom turkey was "Beating up" one of the hens and he was sure he was trying to kill her so he saved the day by taking careful aim with a hard dry corn cob and whacked it in the head and killed it. He got into trouble.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 20s when my Dad was little Turkeys were hard to come across, They finally found some and when Dad went out to do chores he saw the Tom turkey was "Beating up" one of the hens and he was sure he was trying to kill her so he saved the day by taking careful aim with a hard dry corn cob and whacked it in the head and killed it. He got into trouble.

Haha! Are you taking farm turkeys? Wild turks aren't native to ND. Pretty sure the first introductions occurred in the 50s.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figured that's what you were talking about! Funny stuff. I always assumed turkeys were native to the state especially along the Missouri river.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can u actually use a rifle?

from the proclamation

FIREARMS AND ARCHERY EQUIPMENT:

* Shotguns--Only shotguns no larger than 10 gauge and capable of holding not more thanthree shells in the magazine and chamber are legal. Minimum barrel length is 18 inches.Fully automatic firearms are illegal.

* Rifles--Only muzzleloading long guns are legal. Centerfire rifles and rimfire rifles areillegal for hunting wild turkeys.

* Bows and Arrows--A bow must be pulled, held, and released by hand. Any release aidmay be used providing it is hand operated, the shooter supports the draw weight of thebow, and the release is not attached to any part of the bow other than at the bowstring. Acompound bow used for hunting turkeys must have at least 35 pounds of draw at 28inches or less draw length. Recurve and long bows used for hunting turkeys must have atleast 35 pounds of draw at 28 inches. Arrows must be at least 24 inches long, tipped witha metal broadhead, with at least two sharp cutting edges, and have a cutting diameter of atleast 3/4 inches (i.e., not able to pass through a 3/4 inch ring.). It is illegal to hunt turkeyswith barbed arrows. Broadheads with mechanical or retractable blades are legal.Telescopic sights, range finding devices, battery-powered or electronically lighted sightsor other electronic devices attached to the bow, or the arrow, are not permitted, except alighted nock, which is permitted. Handheld range finding devices are legal. Arrowscapable of causing damage or injury to the animal in excess of that inflicted by the cuttingedges of the broadhead, are prohibited while hunting turkeys with a bow (e.g., explosivearrow points, arrows tipped with drugs or chemicals, and pneumatic or hydraulic shaftsare illegal.). Crossbows are not legal, except with a permit from the North Dakota Gameand Fish Department Director. When permitted, crossbows must: a) have a peak drawweight of at least 75 pounds and not more than 200 pounds, b) be equipped with a Page 3working safety to prevent accidental firing, c) have a stock at least 14 inches long, d) usearrows or bolts at least 14 inches in length, e) Battery-powered and electronic-lightedsight pins and telescopic sights not exceeding a maximum power of four by thirty-twomillimeters may be attached to crossbows used for hunting, and f) crossbow hunters mustcomply with all other archery equipment regulations listed above.

* Handguns--Handguns of .35 cal. and larger with 4 inch or greater barrel length are legal.

* The Director may make reasonable accommodations to comply with the Americans withDisabilities Act.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be using my shotgun but it would be pretty cool to use my 357 or the smoke pole!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a ptarmigan with a rock, why not a turkey.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76