Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did an experiment on some summer sausage and was very pleased with the results. Used 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 pound of ground pork and then added garlic summer sausage seasoning and cure #1 weighed out for 3 pounds of meat, gave it all a good mix and let it set overnight in the fridge. The next day stuffed the meat mix into 2 fibrous casings and into the smoker at 110° for an hour with no smoke, then bumped the heat to 130° and started applying smoke. Smoked with a combination of hickory and apple pellets in the Maze smoker for 3 hours.

-----

Then placed the summer sausage separately into vacuum sealed bags and into a sous vide set at 155° for 3 hours.

-----

-----

After the sous vide the summer sausage was placed in a cold water bath and then refrigerated overnight.

The summer sausage turned out excellent, the texture and flavor were perfect!

-----

[FONT=&quot]

Thanks for looking![/FONT]

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet you can't wait to start digging in your lunch box when you get rolling in the morning.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was around everything you cook, I would travel by waddle and speak in various tones of grunt.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was around everything you cook, I would travel by waddle and speak in various tones of grunt.

A waddle might not cut it.... I might have to hire a moving company to push me around on one of them there fancy dollys

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I understand, there are a variety of vacuum bags that are better for sous vide than “typical” bags

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
finishing to temp in the sous vide is something I have never heard of before.. Interesting!, Does it leave you with a better product then finishing to temp in the smoker w/o smoke? looks great

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
basically you “poach” the food at what final temp is perfect

it assures the food never goes past the perfect temp

cook a steak at medium rare for two hours if you want - never turns grey - that type if thing

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I've been looking to try to learn how to make old style german summer sausage. any suggestions. it'd basically be cold smoked i think

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking to try to learn how to make old style german summer sausage. any suggestions. it'd basically be cold smoked i think

If you want to make old German summer sausage, take new German summer sausage and leave it in the bottom of your freezer for whatever amount of time you think it takes to make it old.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57