Pontoon trailer - what kind to get?

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
So got mini van of fishing boats...22ft pontoon with high performance two toon...150 on the back. I need a trailer, only plan trailer 3-4 times a year but about 200 miles round trip. What you guys use and why? Used center lift to get it home- not sure want go that route but I am concerned about getting it off a bunk style. Any help appreciated.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure u get one with the big tires not them little bastards they like to put under a toon. Other than that I'm no help.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
So got mini van of fishing boats...22ft pontoon with high performance two toon...150 on the back. I need a trailer, only plan trailer 3-4 times a year but about 200 miles round trip. What you guys use and why? Used center lift to get it home- not sure want go that route but I am concerned about getting it off a bunk style. Any help appreciated.

Not sure why you are shying away from a deck loaded trailer vs. bunks for 'toons, but you will get your 'toon in the water shallower by the depth of the pontoons. To me that would seem like a no brainer. I have someone trailer and store my 'toon for the winter, so I don't have a 'toon trailer, but Loren has 8 trailers to move/store 'toons and all are deck load trailers. If you are concerned about warpage over the winter, just lower the 'toon down to the ground.

Steve.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got bunks don't think I would gonany other way. Load and unload over 59 times a year with no problem. That shows how easy it is I am a struggler when it comes to that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the downside of a center lift? Mine has been foolproof to load and unload I know that.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about checking out renting one the few times you need it? Depending on that cost per time to rent a trailer...I submit you may be dollars ahead of the game. You could rent a good number of times for what the cost of a new trailer is. Works in my situation anyway, then again I only need to use a trailer twice a year for my pontoon..once in the spring to drop in the water, and once in the fall to store. You would have to do your own math to see if it shakes out for you depending on rental cost. Just an option is all I am saying.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check with Bismarck prop works they started building trailers for pontoons. May be a less expensive route.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the downside of a center lift? Mine has been foolproof to load and unload I know that.

I have an older one that I hate. I have trouble keeping the pontoon from shifting around on the trailer and have had it move far enough to have a tube contact one of the tires. Road was rougher than hell in the spring, but I kept it around 40 mph and still couldn't keep it anchored enough to keep it from shifting. Loading and unloading is a piece of cake though!

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older one that I hate. I have trouble keeping the pontoon from shifting around on the trailer and have had it move far enough to have a tube contact one of the tires. Road was rougher than hell in the spring, but I kept it around 40 mph and still couldn't keep it anchored enough to keep it from shifting. Loading and unloading is a piece of cake though!

^^This was a problem I had with my toon early on. I got some bumpers and mounted them on the vertical tubes so when the trailer is cranked all the way up and you go to pull the toon out of the water the bumpers hit the toons and center the back of the toon and this keeps it from shifting on the road too. Aslo, on the front we mounted some 2 x 4's under the deck of the toon to center it in the front while loading. I have a 24' toon and that current on the Red can make loading and unloading a pain in the ass sometimes so these improvements seem to help a lot. I lower it onto some old truck tires for winter storage.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I went with a center lift because I use mine on the Red River all the time and a bunk trailer just wouldn't work out so well for me. I see bunk trailers all the time at lakes so I assume they work well for that application. I also trailer my toon almost every time I use it. If you do go with a center lift and have a 200 mile round trip you will want to make sure to secure it very well, as woodpecker pointed out already they can shift on you and if the tire starts rubbing I imagine it can blow a tire or wear a hole in you toon or maybe both!

Last edited:

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have a toon but i fish with a couple guys that do. They use the bunk trailers and do allot of load/unloading. One of the guys said if someone would actually make a decent trailer for the guys that use them daily for loading, they would make a million bucks. Side winds and ramps that vary in depth are the biggest pains. Some of the best screaming matches i've seen at the ramps are usually husband and wife trying to load a pontoon with a little sidewind! ;:;banghead

Fish On!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use ratchet straps at front and rear to keep my pontoon centered. I ratchet strap from the four corner eyebolts on my pontoon to four eyebolts of the trailer. Doesn't budge an inch. Holds it centered and forward toward the front bumpers.

geez... the thought of not having a decent retaining system and letting things drift around to the point of damage or wheel contact makes my stomach hurt!

- - - Updated - - -

if it loads somewhat crooked I don't sweat it - the ratchet straps alone are capable of moving it around once I get up on level ground.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it loads somewhat crooked I don't sweat it - the ratchet straps alone are capable of moving it around once I get up on level ground.

The bounce/braking centering technique is seriously under-rated.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
geez... the thought of not having a decent retaining system and letting things drift around to the point of damage or wheel contact makes my stomach hurt!

I use ratchet straps also(One big one around the front of the deck under the trailer and two crossing on the back), but when you live 1/2 mile from the ramp we don't always use them! but I have had the toon shift in that 1/2 mile before.....

Last edited:

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple things, with high performance toon design on Sylvan I got - looks like center lift trailer would be 43 inches wide. Rented one to get it home and it was strapped all four corners and that narrow trailer just didn't seem right with size of boat I got. I havent got confirmation on a lift at the home lake, so feel trailer is a must, and I live in the middle of nowhere as far as renting one. I appreciate the feed back.

Guy - how big a pontoon you run and you feel good going 80 on interstate with it on a center lift?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a 20' now with bunks under it... i can load and unload in less than 3 minutes 90% of the time... i'm not special as anyone efficient on a boat ramp will have no problem with a toon and bunks...

my trailer came with inside front and back guides for each tube which pretty much makes it idiot proof...

only bad thing is when loading, once i have it started on the bunks, i don't have enough power to run it up to the front of the trailer... i just have someone back in a little deeper as i run it up... doing it alone would suck...

have never had more than 2' of winch strap out...

as far as pulling, on bunks i don't think you would even need a winch or straps up to 70 mph...

i know dealers in mn rent them out quite a bit... they might have a used rental if you wanted to save a buck...

good luck...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67