College Hockey pickem

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is a bracket competition made for the site PLEASE don't use ESPN. Their brackets drive me up the wall.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
to help in your bracket decisions if I may:

UND and Massachusetts-Lowell have the most underclassmen (17) among this year's @NCAAIceHockey tournament field

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pickem Hockey is what i'm using for another group. This is the first year we've used it though so I don't have any good feedback other than a friend suggested it because he's used it in the past.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm worried about this young group of ours. We need General Pattyn in the mix to lead them. We are a little low on grit and need to sack up. I could see us getting beat by Northeastern.

Northeastern's average age is about 24 years old, many are 6-0 or better and 200 lbs. They are one of the programs that Lucia is going after with his plan to get the NCAA to limit the age of incoming college hockey players.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm worried about this young group of ours. We need General Pattyn in the mix to lead them. We are a little low on grit and need to sack up. I could see us getting beat by Northeastern.

Northeastern's average age is about 24 years old, many are 6-0 or better and 200 lbs. They are one of the programs that Lucia is going after with his plan to get the NCAA to limit the age of incoming college hockey players.

We can't look past northeastern for a second. I have not watched them play this year but from what I've read they are a well structure, solid team. Hopefully we can get it together and play a full 60 min game.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We can't look past northeastern for a second. I have not watched them play this year but from what I've read they are a well structure, solid team. Hopefully we can get it together and play a full 60 min game.

If we don't get scoring from lines 2-4 we are in trouble, CBS line may not be able to free wheel in the slot against these guys. My hope is that Northwestern is slow because of their size and we can take advantage of them in transition or at least draw penalties if we keep our feet moving.

We will find out what type of coach Berry is this weekend by how well he has this team prepared mentally and if he can put together a game plan that gives us a chance. Our boys have become a group of cake-eaters since we moved into the new Ralph and things got all glitzy-glamour in Grand Forks. We attract high end talent but we've lost the blue collar edge we used to have in the 1980's to go along with the talent.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we don't get scoring from lines 2-4 we are in trouble, CBS line may not be able to free wheel in the slot against these guys. My hope is that Northwestern is slow because of their size and we can take advantage of them in transition or at least draw penalties if we keep our feet moving.

We will find out what type of coach Berry is this weekend by how well he has this team prepared mentally and if he can put together a game plan that gives us a chance. Our boys have become a group of cake-eaters since we moved into the new Ralph and things got all glitzy-glamour in Grand Forks. We attract high end talent but we've lost the blue collar edge we used to have in the 1980's to go along with the talent.

We absolutely have to have all lines actively putting pressure on them. If we try to get through this tourney by relying on the CBS line alone we are screwed. I think we've got good depth and could wear teams out but it just seems like there is always 1 or 2 lines that play a 20 min game and that will not cut it. The few games that we've had all lines running for a full 60 min we looked dangerous.

At least we don't have scouts and recruiters telling our potential players to consider going somewhere else like they have been with gopher recruits for years now!

I would agree we've lost that hard nosed hockey edge that we used to have but I think that is partially due to the trend in all sports.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pickem Hockey is what i'm using for another group. This is the first year we've used it though so I don't have any good feedback other than a friend suggested it because he's used it in the past.

We used it last year, its a good site but the point system is whacked out:
Points for a correct guess are awarded as follows: 1 point for first round games, 2 points for quarterfinal games, 4 points for semifinals, 8 points for the championship game. Ties will be broken using the total number of goals scored in the all 15 tournament games.

what happened in our pool, was a dude that correctly picked providence as the winner last year got the 8 points for the pick, which launched him to the top and he won it. He had more wrong picks than anyone but won the pool. Doesn't seem right to me, so if you want to win you almost have to get the champion right. Getting the champion right is equivalent to getting the entire first round right, which doesn't make sense to me.

That's my 2 cents worth

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hadn't heard anything about Lucia going after programs or specific ages. This just makes me hate the guy that much more. You can play up until 21 in most junior leagues (most guys are done at 20 or before, but there are some rules that allow a guy to get through playing while he is still 21). 3-4 years of college hockey, maybe a red shirt in there, and guys can easily push the 25 age category. I could see an age limit of maybe around 25. What age is he proposing? I understand there is a difference in physicality and mentality with a 24 year old vs. an 18-19 year old coming in, but thats the recruiting process and how the cookie crumbles. Some of the tryouts out east I went to, I was very young at 20, most guys were 22+ and had a long history of junior hockey vs my short stint.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hadn't heard anything about Lucia going after programs or specific ages. This just makes me hate the guy that much more. You can play up until 21 in most junior leagues (most guys are done at 20 or before, but there are some rules that allow a guy to get through playing while he is still 21). 3-4 years of college hockey, maybe a red shirt in there, and guys can easily push the 25 age category. I could see an age limit of maybe around 25. What age is he proposing? I understand there is a difference in physicality and mentality with a 24 year old vs. an 18-19 year old coming in, but thats the recruiting process and how the cookie crumbles. Some of the tryouts out east I went to, I was very young at 20, most guys were 22+ and had a long history of junior hockey vs my short stint.

Here is a link to an article that outlines what he is proposing. Most of the major programs, including ND, are quietly supporting it. The proposal wants to limit the age of incoming players to 20 years old, down from 21 and for every year over they loose a year of eligibility. I think the loss of eligibility is the big piece here as a 23 year old kid would only be able to play for 1 year. This is how a lot of these smaller east coast programs stay in competitive...Union, Providence, etc. However like Taylorman said there is a huge difference between a 19 year old kid and a 25 year old man.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/11/24_big_ten_legislation_raises.php

I compared past Northeastern rosters to this year and nearly all come from EJHL or USHL. Most are only on their roster for 1-2 years, so clearly they are not there for an education but just trying to play the game for another year or two.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a big hockey follower and not meaning to hijack this thread but was wondering if the UND hockey team goes by Fighting Hawks now or are they just called North Dakota? I listened to the game on the radio last week and the announcer only referred to them as North Dakota or UND.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The fans boo or yell sioux every time an announcer says the words fighting Hawks so they quit saying it. This happens everywhere; he Ralph , target center, salt cloud, Denver . UND fans won't put up with it

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gut feeling is that it will be one and done for UND. Just seems like this team is lacking heart. Getting swept by Denver losing to Duluth on Friday. Johnson is letting a lot of goals in lately seems like the scouting report is to keep puck high on him. Defense has to make the other team earn them goals.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're lacking confidence, It's a new season and they might be still be kids in comparison to the other teams but I think they grew a lot of whiskers along the way, I had a bad feeling when they came off two easy games a couple weeks ago, That's about the worst think you can do this time of the year. I'm not ready to give up on them just yet.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't given up on them yet either, but not as excited, as I was before, especially after the last to games they played.;:;boozer

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best part of this game is the time! 1pm......so its 5 o'clock somewhere for me! :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77