River Squatch Contiued...

Rollincoal

Well somehow the Big Ginger talked me into a trip to Lake Winnipeg this week. Must have been process of elimination that he asked me, as I was one of few he knew who could enter legally into Canada. I agreed, for neither of us had been to LW before, but had heard the stories and seen all the pictures of monster eyes.

We arrived Sunday afternoon and went directly to the lake. Unloading the gear and ATV's, Squatch was so excited he could barely hold a rod because his dick was so hard it could cut glass. We got plenty of smaller fish that day, but no monsters. He was very positive that the next day would be better.

He fished hard the next couple days drilling holes like the throttle was stuck, sometimes auger buried to the handles, even with an extension. Squatch was determined alright. Changing lures so fast sometimes they never even touched water. I believe he was ripping two or three rods at times to increase his chances.

Well by the end of the third day with only a couple MA's in the group and Squatch's biggest fish at a measly 18 inches he was starting to sulk a bit. Barely able to ease his pain each night with Copenhagen and booze.

On day four, the last morning before we headed home, we debated to skip another trip onto the frozen hell of shard fields and pressure ridges. But Big Ginger decided he couldn't go home and face the heckling from coworkers and friends. So with blurred vision and whiskey breath he led the way.

We tried out deep that morning. Tight to a pressure ridge. I dropped my Vex into the hole and immediately had marks. Something in the air changed. Then I heard a yell. Squatch had a fish, and then another. They kept bending his rod. He was pulling 18's, 21's, and 23's...he was on fire. He had found his mojo. Then it happened. I could hear his drag from where I was and a change in his tone as the Squatch howled. He had a big one. I rushed over and helped assist the 29 inch pig from the hole. It was a nice fish, not a 16 pound monster, but a fish that still would earn respect.

We made our trip back home that afternoon, and the Big Ginger was all smiles. He was sending pictures to buddies and people he didn't even know. The River Squatch was hooked, and he will tell you, "It was fu**ing epic!!".

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, awesome story. It's close, but still not quite automatic to catch the big ones. Persistence pays off again!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well somehow the Big Ginger talked me into a trip to Lake Winnipeg this week. Must have been process of elimination that he asked me, as I was one of few he knew who could enter legally into Canada. I agreed, for neither of us had been to LW before, but had heard the stories and seen all the pictures of monster eyes.

We arrived Sunday afternoon and went directly to the lake. Unloading the gear and ATV's, Squatch was so excited he could barely hold a rod because his dick was so hard it could cut glass. We got plenty of smaller fish that day, but no monsters. He was very positive that the next day would be better.

He fished hard the next couple days drilling holes like the throttle was stuck, sometimes auger buried to the handles, even with an extension. Squatch was determined alright. Changing lures so fast sometimes they never even touched water. I believe he was ripping two or three rods at times to increase his chances.

Well by the end of the third day with only a couple MA's in the group and Squatch's biggest fish at a measly 18 inches he was starting to sulk a bit. Barely able to ease his pain each night with Copenhagen and booze.

On day four, the last morning before we headed home, we debated to skip another trip onto the frozen hell of shard fields and pressure ridges. But Big Ginger decided he couldn't go home and face the heckling from coworkers and friends. So with blurred vision and whiskey breath he led the way.

We tried out deep that morning. Tight to a pressure ridge. I dropped my Vex into the hole and immediately had marks. Something in the air changed. Then I heard a yell. Squatch had a fish, and then another. They kept bending his rod. He was pulling 18's, 21's, and 23's...he was on fire. He had found his mojo. Then it happened. I could hear his drag from where I was and a change in his tone as the Squatch howled. He had a big one. I rushed over and helped assist the 29 inch pig from the hole. It was a nice fish, not a 16 pound monster, but a fish that still would earn respect.

We made our trip back home that afternoon, and the Big Ginger was all smiles. He was sending pictures to buddies and people he didn't even know. The River Squatch was hooked, and he will tell you, "It was fu**ing epic!!".

You are married to Heidi Heitkamp?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
this ginger you speak of, does he also squirt his beer shits on the lake with no regard to fellow anglers?

I think I might know this character.

Rollincoal

this ginger you speak of, does he also squirt his beer shits on the lake with no regard to fellow anglers?

I think I might know this character.

Lol. He may be. This squatch believes that devils lake is God's greatest gift. I'm just glad that I can share these true stories. There's more to come this spring I'm sure!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69