kids first rod and reel

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there any decent options for short kids rods, rod length of 4 foot or under. All the kids combos I've dealt have beyond horrible drag systems.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they all have bad drag setups for the youth. Probably why they come with 20lb test. I would buy everything separate then just upgrade to rod as they get bigger.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
teach him to use a spinning real
She is 2 so thats not an option. but she loves to play with my old Zebco 33 on a 6 foot rhino at home. we tie on a piece of felt and go catfishing off the couch for the wifes housecat
I just want something a little easier for her to use off the boat and from shore

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has some cheap combos with a zebco type real. Both my kids have them. They have shitty drags but have caught plenty for walleye and pike.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a 36 or 42 in ice fishing combo for my oldest when he was 2. With a little practice he was casting that thing everywhere in the house. Would tie on one of those big "O" rings (kids stacking toy). It had enough drag on the carpet or other stuff that he had to use the spinning reel right and it was also big enough that you could see it coming.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them damn snoopy poles would make a vein in my head throb

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The zebco combos are the way to go. Drag isn't terrible, but 100% better than the crap barbie/spiderman/etc. rods you can buy. Reels seems last a lot longer too.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The zebco combos are the way to go. Drag isn't terrible, but 100% better than the crap barbie/spiderman/etc. rods you can buy. Reels seems last a lot longer too.
Thats the route im looking at most right now, either the 202 or just do it right and get the 33

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gave my daughter a quality set up for the simple fact that I wanted her fishing to be based on successfully catching fish, NOT being frustrated with her POS equipment possibly resulting in her not want to go fishing again. Did the very same thing Yoby did with the casting practice.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gave my daughter a quality set up for the simple fact that I wanted her fishing to be based on successfully catching fish, NOT being frustrated with her POS equipment possibly resulting in her not want to go fishing again. Did the very same thing Yoby did with the casting practice.

This is why no snoopy, barbie, mickey mouse combo. I dont want her to fight with her gear. I want her to enjoy it as much as i do, and as much as i will enjoy taking her. so the el cheapo garbage combos are out. I will have try try one of my ice rods with a spinning reel and see if she can get the hang of it, otherwise she will probably end up with a zebco 33 combo till she can figure out spinning gear

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is why no snoopy, barbie, mickey mouse combo. I dont want her to fight with her gear. I want her to enjoy it as much as i do, and as much as i will enjoy taking her. so the el cheapo garbage combos are out. I will have try try one of my ice rods with a spinning reel and see if she can get the hang of it, otherwise she will probably end up with a zebco 33 combo till she can figure out spinning gear

There are better closed-face reels than the zebco setups. Take a look at Scheel's reel rack. About $40, or so. I didn't learn my lesson until each kid went through a few snoopy-type setups. As far as a rod, I'd think the longer ice rods should be perfect until she can get to using a 5 ft ultra-light. In that world, I always go with an ugly stick to help prevent tip breakage from kids sticking them in the ground as they walk.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77