Baitcaster guru's

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying this out...I got a round one which I think is a big mistake, have a low profile coming. How you get the lure too to the spot you want? I've been watching vids but everyone make it look easy and the line just comes out of the reel like nothing, where I have to whip it to get it to go 10 ft, not sure what I'm doing wrong I have tension set to where the weight/lure pulls it off the spool slowly when I take thumb off spool.
They say to start out pitching...yeah right, thats worse can't get it to 5 ft.

Would rather have someone PM me and explain...then have all you give me a bad time.....lol

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnetic antibacklash is nice. Adjust the brake by loosening it just until the lure drops by its own weight. Once the lure hits the ground the line should just barely birdsnest. If too much birds nest the brake is too loose.

once brake adjusted you cast and quickly use your thumb to control distance of the lure. Overshoot your target then learn to apply thumb to start decelerating it as it arrives. You can literally point your rod to either side to subtly control left/right as it slows down but not much... Your initial cast dominates left/right travel to a great degree.

Start out with a little too much brake and work your way to less and less (bigger risk of birds-nest with less brake).

Casting into the ND wind is the toughest task.

start with heavy lures first, then go lighter and lighter. 17 lb bright fluorescent mono would be best for learning.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnetic antibacklash is nice. Adjust the brake by loosening it just until the lure drops by its own weight. Once the lure hits the ground the line should just barely birdsnest. If too much birds nest the brake is too loose.

once brake adjusted you cast and quickly use your thumb to control distance of the lure. Overshoot your target then learn to apply thumb to start decelerating it as it arrives. You can literally point your rod to either side to subtly control left/right as it slows down but not much... Your initial cast dominates left/right travel to a great degree.

Start out with a little too much brake and work your way to less and less (bigger risk of birds-nest with less brake).

Casting into the ND wind is the toughest task.

start with heavy lures first, then go lighter and lighter. 17 lb bright fluorescent mono would be best for learning.

easy for you to say... hard for me to do...

fwiw, watching the pro bass guys do it while looking at and talking to the camera is enough for me to just cuss and change the channel...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha. It doesn't happen overnight. I picked it up in college when stuff comes easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Once a guy gets started with heavy lures and needs to transition to lighter he then needs to go lighter on line too.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots and lots of practice. Baitcasters were all I used until I was about 20. I actually prefer them for most fishing unless I am jigging. They take a lot of patience and I still birds nest once in a while if I am not paying attention. Adjust the brake for every lure and take a deep breath once in a while and you will be good to go.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
rod has some to do with it to in relation to the lure -- especially in the beginning.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys......I was at it like for 2 hours today in the backyard today.......give it a rest....looks like lots of practice for me in coming days......

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha. It doesn't happen overnight. I picked it up in college when stuff comes easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Once a guy gets started with heavy lures and needs to transition to lighter he then needs to go lighter on line too.

i watched a show last week with a guy throwing a frog what looked like 60 - 70' then floated... i found one at sportsmans today... the thing would have floated up to the ceiling if i took it out of the package...

those bass guys are magic...

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
12# mono casts the best for me. I'm trying Seagar Invisx a flouro and it casts awesome.

Watch a bass master classic
Don't cast into the wind
1/2 lipless rattle bait is very forgiving to cast and you will catch fish too.

My current favorite low pro is the Revo

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys......I was at it like for 2 hours today in the backyard today.......give it a rest....looks like lots of practice for me in coming days......

Don't feel bad , I took the plunge 2 years ago. They are nice trolling reels

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ya ain't gonna catch a thing in the backyard!!
JK!!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for bringing it up. I should break a baitcast out and see if I can throw a smaller lure with any accuracy. I only use baitcast for catfishing and am very good at it but have always found the smaller stuff tougher to throw.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the best one you can afford. I think a big mistake is when people jump into the baitcast world they start out with a cheapo. Big mistake. It will only add to your frustrations. I started out with a bass pro crapo $70 baitcsster that sucked. Then a Revo SX, I thought that was the cats meow until I got my paws on a Shimano Chronarch c14. That thing is a dream compared to the SX. The SX was only slightly better than the BP Crapo but $100 more. Also I don't care who you are casting baitcasters into the the wind is like pissing into the wind. Also for light lures use spinning gear. Don't make thing s harder than they need to be. Even the bass pros use spinning gear for lighter lures. Learn how to adjust your baitcast. If your only getting ten feet out of your cast its not adjusted right or yiur reel is a pile. Sorry for being so blunt. But the fact is you can get a good spinningnreelnfor $60(phleuger president) not the case with a baitcast. They are more expensive. The cheap baitcasters should be used for trolling and not casting.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was trolling for a humorus response.

1. IMHO: Your strong hand should always control the rod. The reel does nothing but release and obtain line, therefore the handle should be on your weak side; same as a spinning reel. The rod catches the fish

2. As per Guy: Adjust the spool velocity: The reel needs to be "sideways" with the handle pointed correctly at the ground or towards the sky. For the life of me I don't understand the right side crank predominance! The handle does NOTHING but wind line!

C. Practice casting with your reel handle perpendicular NOT parallel to the ground. As you get better, you can keep it "up" like a Zebco for sidearm hot pussy action.

Things develop from there like pitching and flipping.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind @ your back to start. Don't load/whip the rod tip. Buy a GOOD reel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69