Dog Trainers

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well our pup is growing like a weed and we are starting to look into trainers to send her to. She's just over 5 months old now and so far we've been concentrating on basic obedience but I would like to get her into a hunting trainer in the coming months. What are some trainers that you guys have worked with or have heard good things about? image.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took our dog to Karl at Ivy League dog trainers in Walcott, ND. One week of puppy boot camp/basic hunting skills. She goes back in April for another week of strictly hunting training. Very happy with the results and his methods. The facility was very clean even with the amount of pups there. On top of all that, very affordable as well.

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard very good things about Tom Ness in Menoken but I am taking mine to 100X retrievers in Ashley. I decided to go there just because that is where I bought my dog. Both places are in the 6-8 hundred per month range and both want your dog for multiple months but will work with you on how long you want them in training.
Both stated that it takes a lot less time if your dog has basic obedience already so they don't have to spend the first month doing that. Sounds like you are well on your way so you may not need multiple months for your training. My black lab is just 4 months old now and going as soon as she heals from getting fixed at 6 months. Hope this helps!

Brian

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jess is my 3 lab trained all myself with a little help from books. don't get me wrong but that's half the fun of a hunting dog is training them. the part that sucks is you only get about 10 years of hunting with them so I enjoy every moment .

Ruger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't go anywhere else than 100X Retrievers, The nice thing about Mike and Shawnee Bassett is the fact that they want you involved also. You are welcome to spend as much time working with the dogs as they do. There is no sense dropping a dog off, paying for the training and you not knowing what to do when you get her back home. I got my Brittany from them in Sept 2014, took him down for training for two months when he was six months and have been back 3 times since. In fact, he is going back for another 2 weeks the end of April. I would highly recommend them. You can take your dog for the day, weekend, week or as long as you want to.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jess is my 3 lab trained all myself with a little help from books. don't get me wrong but that's half the fun of a hunting dog is training them. the part that sucks is you only get about 10 years of hunting with them so I enjoy every moment .
I couldn't imagine sending my dog away for months at a time to be trained. You can't tell me you guys don't have a half hour a day to spend with your dog? They will listen to YOU if YOU are the one doing the training. Wildeyes has the right idea.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog trained himself...Thank The Lord!!!! He's smarter than I am and as you may have guessed, MY training is going well.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a very good thread. My pup is at 8 months and I have been kicking around the idea of sending him somewhere for a bit or trying to do all of the training myself. I know he has great potential and I only know so much about dog training.

I had him on a lead (mostly) in the field last year and he did great for being so young, he probably accidentally flushed 75 birds or so and pointed/purposefully flushed a dozen. Realistically if he can grab dead birds in the water and come back on command this fall that would be a huge success.

I will be working with him this summer at the lakes and if he bolts or the fetching does not go well after a month of being there then I can send him somewhere.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Orange bumper and a 50 ft lead has gotten the pooch to be a retrieving machine. She's still a puppy so her attention span isn't quite there yet. Takes after her owner I guess. My reasoning behind sending her to a trainer was based on the amount of money we spent on her and my knowledge base on dog training. Her potential is greater than my ability. Karl requires you stay there for two hours to learn the commands. Since we got her back, we work on retrieving and finding the bumper at least 5 days a week. It's a little easier now that it's nicer out. We'll send her back for another round and then I'll maintain her the rest of her career.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Orange bumper and a 50 ft lead has gotten the pooch to be a retrieving machine. She's still a puppy so her attention span isn't quite there yet. Takes after her owner I guess. My reasoning behind sending her to a trainer was based on the amount of money we spent on her and my knowledge base on dog training. Her potential is greater than my ability. Karl requires you stay there for two hours to learn the commands. Since we got her back, we work on retrieving and finding the bumper at least 5 days a week. It's a little easier now that it's nicer out. We'll send her back for another round and then I'll maintain her the rest of her career.

This is why I want to send ours somewhere as well. We work with a dummy in the yard almost everyday but I'm not sure that i can get the best out of her. Some days she is great and the next day she won't retrieve at all. Just wants to run around the yard sniffing.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sending your dog to a trainer is good and bad. Training a dog yourself is good and bad. Let me explain.

If you truly don't have the time or wherewithal to train a dog yourself, spending the money and doing the research on a COMPETENT trainer is probably worth it. But it's all for beans if you aren't consistent with the pup after it gets back, or if the trainer doesn't walk you through how HE handles the dog. This is very, very important. There are so many subtle nuances to dog handling that you can get wrong, especially when you weren't involved with the process. Everything from where you put your hands, to voice inflection can cause different reactions or misdirection with a dog. You may think I'm being obtuse, but far from it. Something so subtle as speaking a command versus yelling it can cause confusion with a dog that's been trained one way or another.

Before shelling out the bucks for a trainer, find out EXACTLY what the finished product is going to be. With a retriever, basic hunting intro for a month likely won't, and shouldn't, include force fetch. I say shouldn't because a complete FF process takes at least 6 weeks, otherwise the trainer is cutting corners. Likely he is going to work on steadiness, more obedience, intro to birds, coming when it's called, and maybe whistle work. It just depends.

All of that you can do yourself.

"But I'd rather just pay a trainer," you say. "They can do it."

Wrong. The trainer is merely laying the foundation. Just like a house will crumble if it's not maintained, your dog will revert back to it's old, dopey self if you don't do regular maintenance work during the offseason.

This is a universal standard, regardless of how you train. Dogs get loose. That's a fact. If you have the best retriever in the world, it'll slip up come hunting season if you let it putz and loaf around for six months before opener.

Find out what the trainer has been working on so you, in the very least, can maintain your dog's level. If possible, find out what the next steps are. Chances are your dog might get bored doing the same three drills over and over and over. Either do your own research, or ask the trainer for assistance.

Anyway, that's my two cents. In truth, my gut instinct was to send my first wirehair off to get trained. Luckily for the both of us, he ingested a tube sock that cost $1,500 to remove, thus ending any talk of spending money on a professional trainer. I wound up doing it myself. He was my first hunting dog, and I was a complete novice.

Three years down the road, I put a Versatile Champion title on him. And now I've finished my second hunting dog, and helped with a least a dozen others.

Trust me, it can be done. Do some research and look for local hunting dog training clubs in the area. Fargo has a couple, as does Bismarck.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't imagine sending my dog away for months at a time to be trained. You can't tell me you guys don't have a half hour a day to spend with your dog? They will listen to YOU if YOU are the one doing the training. Wildeyes has the right idea.

I'm not saying that you aren't an excellent dog trainer, but this is the same "philosophy" a family member of mine has. Now this family member boasts about his training abilities and that he's trained all his dogs throughout life. I will tell you that my NUMBER 1 pet peeve is when people bring a dog with that has no experience in the field and DO NOT HAVE A SHOCK COLLAR. Nothing drives me more nuts than listening to people yelling at their dog the entire time out in the field. On top of that trying to direct or make the dog go in one direction or another is another problem. The dogs knows more that the human when it comes to scent and tracking, old scent vs. new scent etc. Finally they got the hint that I was getting tired of listening to them yell the entire time in the field and left the dog in the kennel. This is what I think of every time someone says that they can train a dog just as good as a actual dog trainer you spend money on.

I myself hunt pheasants 25+days a season and have a pointing/retrieving dog that has excellent natural ability and experience from being out in the field all those days with me. But she also has the tools necessary from working with a trainer for 3 months when she was younger. I myself could have "trained" her, but I didn't have the time nor probably the patience.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I signed my pup up for a 2 week session. Could be a tough two weeks for me and the lady without him

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I signed my pup up for a 2 week session. Could be a tough two weeks for me and the lady without him

Where are you sending him? My wife and I were just talking last night about how weird it would be without our dog around.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
its funny how a lab is a retriever and when I was training her with feathers on the dummy before hunting season she would pick it up and bring it back no problem. Then Bacon invited me down to his place ( the nice guy he is) and the first bird that was dropped in front of her she would pick up and drop won't bring it back. Easy fix take bird home practice fetching with dead bird problem solved. One of the things with training that I learn with the other 2 labs was the first year of hunting you can not get out enough hunting in so they learn the game. I cant say this enough. the first year get out as much as you can after that they know what the game is. Now all I work on is control , switching directions when she starts to get to far in front ( she always whats to be in front this works good. I been using hand signals to point her in a direction I want her to go and she is getting it. The first times I took her out was in fields that had birds in them and she didn't know what she was doing or hunting this made it so I could pull her off of pheasants to come back to me. more control. Now after the first season hunting more then 25+ times she know what she is hunting game on . fun stuff.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not saying that you aren't an excellent dog trainer, but this is the same "philosophy" a family member of mine has. Now this family member boasts about his training abilities and that he's trained all his dogs throughout life. I will tell you that my NUMBER 1 pet peeve is when people bring a dog with that has no experience in the field and DO NOT HAVE A SHOCK COLLAR. Nothing drives me more nuts than listening to people yelling at their dog the entire time out in the field. On top of that trying to direct or make the dog go in one direction or another is another problem. The dogs knows more that the human when it comes to scent and tracking, old scent vs. new scent etc. Finally they got the hint that I was getting tired of listening to them yell the entire time in the field and left the dog in the kennel. This is what I think of every time someone says that they can train a dog just as good as a actual dog trainer you spend money on.

I myself hunt pheasants 25+days a season and have a pointing/retrieving dog that has excellent natural ability and experience from being out in the field all those days with me. But she also has the tools necessary from working with a trainer for 3 months when she was younger. I myself could have "trained" her, but I didn't have the time nor probably the patience.
I agree with everything you say. Having an out of control dog is not fun. Most hunting dogs if bred we'll have the nose and hunting instinct. They just need to learn how to fetch and come when told. Shock collars work wonders. I had a lab that would not do so well and when the collar went on he would listen. Didn't have to use it much but he knew it was there. I don't need a field champion. I need a dog that will stay in range and find birds and bring them to me.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you sending him? My wife and I were just talking last night about how weird it would be without our dog around.

Karl in Walcott. Very reasonably priced for a two week stay and the training will be probably just as beneficial for me as the dog. I would really like to know exactly what drills we should be doing all summer.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Karl in Walcott. Very reasonably priced for a two week stay and the training will be probably just as beneficial for me as the dog. I would really like to know exactly what drills we should be doing all summer.

This is exactly what we are looking to do. She is getting spayed in April so we might have to wait a bit to go. I will have to give Karl a call too but what was the schedule like? Easy to get in?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69