Slow death hook brands

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used the Mustad brand hooks but seems like I miss more bites the with them then fishing with other style hooks. Have any of you had the same problem? Has anyone had better luck with another brand( if there is on) or a similar style?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
became a fan of the Northland crawler hauler last summer. Stays on better than the traditional mustad slow death hooks even when being careful to slip crawler head past line tie. Comes in several different colors too. Super sharp. The plastic keeper eventually gets weak so I may change hooks a couple times in a day
image.jpg

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there are other types of bent hooks, but Slow Death is a Mustad exclusive. Are you getting short-bites? Make sure you don't have too much crawler hanging off the end, and always thread the worm past the hook eye. Sometimes a single bead can help as well.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used the Matzuo death roll hooks as an alternative to the Mustad brand. They're a bit heavier gauge wire and the bends aren't quite as sharp. When you're using real crawlers the action isn't quite as intense, but I like the Matzuo a lot better with plastics.

Maybe I need to switch up the size of the slow death hooks I've been using, but it seems like they bend very easily and if they get deformed it's harder to get the action you want. The death roll hooks hold their shape better.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swear I saw another brand with the bent-hook setup, but they didn't come in red color. The patent Mustad owns can run more than a few years and then the market will be flooded with alternatives.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever try bending their own?

Yep, I have made my own while out on the water using a long-shanked mustad hook. Worked just fine, all you are doing is trying to get the crawler to spin a little and that doesn't take much. A simple leatherman or other needle-nosed pliers will suffice.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I have made my own while out on the water using a long-shanked mustad hook. Worked just fine, all you are doing is trying to get the crawler to spin a little and that doesn't take much. A simple leatherman or other needle-nosed pliers will suffice.

Figured so. Big ole fencing pliers would work well too I bet.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever try bending their own?

No, but that's how they used to do it before they started selling them. I think it was Keith Kavajecz (the guy in the video above) and Gary Parsons who were doing this out on the walleye tours before they let the secret out.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
dan steir started slow death years ago, simply by bending a regular Aberdeen style hook

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
dan steir started slow death years ago, simply by bending a regular Aberdeen style hook

He didn't come up with the bend he used a hook that was already on the market and still is as i just ran across them at Walmart today when I was getting some hooks for trout fishing. The original slow death before they came up with that name for Mustad was the true turn hook. He later bent tons of hooks trying to perfect them well trying to get Mustad to make them. This is the true original but having never used them not sure what the rotation will be like but it's still the same hook he cleaned house with in all those tournament's back 15 years ago.

IMG_20160331_222356239.jpg

Last edited:

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Tru Turn has been making the "slow death" style of hook since the days of shoreline cane poling with Straw hats and Crickets -

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished with one of Dan's fisherman friends in a pro-am tourney years ago. He kinda laughed at the Mustad hoopla. He used just a long shaft hook and bent them himself as we fished. He'd bend them differently based on the action he wanted be it a slow roll or a little faster one. You could tell they'd been doing it for a long time. He said a good way for a beginner to learn about them is probably buy a few Mustad ones for an example. Then get some plain long shaft hooks and bend them yourself different ways and see the action it creates. Then it's test them and learn.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
TruTurns were our catfishing hook of choice (80s/90s) until circle hooks became locally available. Of course circle hooks had been around the ocean scene forever but they were a drag to find locally.

I know... "wire hooks on big fish?!" The big truturns are strong enough not to straighten out on big cats - unless you string up 50 lb test and reef on them stupid hard.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never tried the slow death rigs. I pull a ton of spinners on LOW and DL. Might have to add this to the list of things to try this summer with the lindy lil guy. My guess is I will end up not trying either and just stick with the spinners since I know they catch fish.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
still prefer truturns when fishing live crayfish (secure and easy rigging)
You fishing eyes with them? If so how do you fish them and how well do they work? I caught a bunch of the last summer for kicks and giggles and have though about trying them out this year.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
For years I hooked crawlers three ways. Whacky, hooked 'normal' and threaded along the hook and up over the knot. Just a normal hook will spin a crawler if threaded. Admit, the 'rolling' effect is much greater with the bent styles these days but have seen it plenty where a less aggressive roll out performs. Plus, it's not so darn touchy to bottom bumping. The roll hooks struggle to perform when crawler comes off just a little.

But they do work. No denying. Just don't forget tradition hook and threading.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76