Threats to the Future of Lake Winnipeg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long-ish video (about 30 minutes) but very informative on the future of the Big Windy. For anyone who slobbers over sumo greenbacks, you owe it to yourself to get edjumucated. Some serious threats are on the horizon:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Super short breakdown: Invasive species (i.e. zebra mussels) and Eutrophication.

Did you listen to the whole thing? They barely even touched on those two topics. It was mainly about how the commercial fishery is raping the lake. The economic value from sport fisherman is 3 to 4 times greater than from the commercial fishery. However, 3/4 to 7/8 of the walleye taken from the lake are done by the commercial fishery. Basically, this cant continue or the lake is screwed. Anybody who enjoys this unbelievable fishery should take the time and watch this video.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you listen to the whole thing? They barely even touched on those two topics. It was mainly about how the commercial fishery is raping the lake. The economic value from sport fisherman is 3 to 4 times greater than from the commercial fishery. However, 3/4 to 7/8 of the walleye taken from the lake are done by the commercial fishery. Basically, this cant continue or the lake is screwed. Anybody who enjoys this unbelievable fishery should take the time and watch this video.

that supper sucks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I heard is there's going to be a new world record in a couple years. Huff, keep that tracked rig rolling.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there native Americans in Canada?
Is this a tribal thing?
Do they call Indians in Canada native Americans?
If an American moves to Africa, do they call that person an American African regardless of the persons color?

Last edited:

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there native Americans in Canada?
is this a tribal thing?
do they call Indians in Canada native Americans?
If an American moves to Africa, do the call that person an American African regardless of the persons color?

All that deep thought is going to hurt your head.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they call them selves "first nations" or something like that. There are plenty of indians up there that net fish both personally and commercially but I think the majority of the comm fisherman are white. I could be wrong though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was a very well put together presentation. The guy did a great job.

Summary:

* The lake has an obsolete commercial fishery management system.(multi-specie quota system which means the weight quota can be filled with one specie or multiple. i.e. they can take all walleye or a combination of walleye, whitefish, sauger, drum, etc). The walleye are worth more so most of the quota is used with walleye at this point.

* The amount of walleye taken via commercial fishing makes up 75-88% of the annual harvest(the remainder is the angler harvest). This harvest is also unsustainable or the system will eventually crash.

* The angling economy generates 3 to 4 times the amount of revenue as the commercial fisherman, but uses significantly less resource.

* There needs to be agreement between the 1. Commercial fishermen 2. Indigenous people(indians to the laymen) 3. Angling community to change the course. This sounds very difficult to do at this point because the commercial guys are going to fight to keep pulling the same fish quotas.

If you want more, I suggest you watch the video. It filled out my lunch break nicely.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
God it got annoying listening to him calling them pickerel! You would think a biologist would use correct names not a local ones that are put on the wrong species!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
God it got annoying listening to him calling them pickerel! You would think a biologist would use correct names not a local ones that are put on the wrong species!

They call walleye "pickeral" up in them thar parts, and all the locals know them as such. If he went through the whole video saying "wall-eyed pike" or "walleye" they'd probably look at him cockeyed. Given the audience (all Manitobans) it was appropriate.

But I'm sure you knew that.

- - - Updated - - -

Ehem, he specifically asked for a short breakdown. I literally repeated the first 30 seconds. If he wanted a more thorough explanation, well, Captain Ahab put it pretty nicely.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmmmm,I see slots in the future... Been there done that along with reduced daily limits of pickeral.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
other than a legislative option which sounds like a drawn out court battled nightmare the best course of action may be to stop eating commercial walleye. tell everyone u know the circumstances and to do the same. tell any restraunt owners who will listen to replace walleye with another fish on the menu. the only way to capitalistically stop the commercial fishing is to stop the demand. i love eating restraunt walleye as much as anyone but i will start having the salmon or cod instead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56