Track System and Rod Holder Setups???

defiant1

Honored Member
I am looking to rig my boat for pulling plugs and jigging. What track systems and/or rod holders are you guys/gals using? Pictures and practical experience would be appreciated.

d1

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure who makes that track system for rod holders. I have seen it on the new lunds. I like the ram rod holders the best. Ones that clamp on the rails suck. I don't love me rails to begin with.

defiant1

Honored Member
I'm not sure who makes that track system for rod holders. I have seen it on the new lunds. I like the ram rod holders the best. Ones that clamp on the rails suck. I don't love me rails to begin with.

Yea, I know of Bert's Track System, Cannon, and Traxtech as far as the track systems go. I am trying to find some ideas and recommendations to install on my boat.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never done it. I love me rails and rail mounted Rams, but Cisco makes something as well. I just read a thread like this on walleye central.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
May boat had Traxtech rails in the cockpit portion when I bought it and I added them to the bow as well. 60" in the cockpit, 12" in the bow. I use Ram rod holders bolted to the TT bases. It's very handy for putting rod holders right where you want them, and is low-profile and out of the way the rest of the time.

The previous owner of my boat had down riggers mounted on the TT tracks as well. I prefer tracks to rails because they sit lower and catch less "stuff" like rod tips and fingers, or toes when someone is climbing out of the bow onto the dock in wind/waves. It's also easier to adjust rod holder position, a twist of the thumb-screws and you're holders can be anywhere along the track.

Last edited:

defiant1

Honored Member
May boat had Traxtech rails in the cockpit portion when I bought it and I added them to the bow as well. 60" in the cockpit, 12" in the bow. I use Ram rod holders bolted to the TT bases. It's very handy for putting rod holders right where you want them, and is low-profile and out of the way the rest of the time.

The previous owner of my boat had down riggers mounted on the TT tracks as well. I prefer tracks to rails because they sit lower and catch less "stuff" like rod tips and fingers, or toes when someone is climbing out of the bow onto the dock in wind/waves. It's also easier to adjust rod holder position, a twist of the thumb-screws and you're holders can be anywhere along the track.

Do you find the 60" tracks to be inconvenient when changing out bases and adding new items to the track? Would you find it easier to have (for example) 2 - 24" tracks mounted with a gap in between instead?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you find the 60" tracks to be inconvenient when changing out bases and adding new items to the track? Would you find it easier to have (for example) 2 - 24" tracks mounted with a gap in between instead?

No, but all I run on them is rod holders as I don't have riggers or anything else that I would run on them. I took the end caps off the tracks as well, I'm not pulling anything so big/heavy that I'm worried about the whole works sliding off into the abyss.

One could I guess make an argument for leaving the end caps on so that the exposed dovetail doesn't catch a net loop but I haven't had that problem to date.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79