Need graph advice

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently have a HDS 10 and HDS 8 both Gen 1. Last year the 10 stopped displaying the 2D sonar so I sent it in and they wanted $1,000.00 to fix a head unit that is worth $800 - $900. So now I use that just for chart and down/side imaging. Now the HDS 8 that is at the dash that I use for regular sonar will only show me half of the screen. The whole right side is crazy vertical lines that will not change no matter what page I go to and the left side is perfect. So my question is, if I were to buy a HDS 7 Touch Gen 2 will my current graphs still work with it. Do the Gen 2's have different LSS (little black box) and transducers. I can't swing a 12 touch gen 3 so I am not sure what to do, but the two that I have are slowly falling apart. Maybe it's time for birds? Also I have not sent in the HDS 8 yet, might be an easy fix. Any advise would be great because I am not sure what to do.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I buy a new Gen 2 setup and install it at the dash can I run two gen 1's with it? I might be better off just getting a gen 1 head unit and keep it close to the same.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both Gen 1 and Gen2 units that are sharing through ethernet (yellow). No problems.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried the soft reset on the HDS8?

No, because I have kind of seen this coming. Last year that half of the screen had a yellowish haze to it, like the left side (sonar) was bleeding into the right side (chart).

Thanks Muzzy and Ahab. That was what I was wondering. But I heard that the Gen 2 is a lot quicker, right?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
And Gen II Touch is even a step up from regular Gen II. I would call Lowrance and see if they will give you some money off of an upgrade.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
What transducers do you currently have the 83/200 skimmer and the LSS-1? Or do you have the LSS-2?

This might determine how I would go about upgrading and deciding what "package" to get from lowrance.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 83/200 thru the hull transducer with the LSS-1.

Looking at just replacing the head unit will cost me about the same as a new HDS-7 Gen2 Touch from Cabelas with rebates and stuff.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy a Garmin and you won't have to put up with that kind of shit

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently have a HDS 10 and HDS 8 both Gen 1. Last year the 10 stopped displaying the 2D sonar so I sent it in and they wanted $1,000.00 to fix a head unit that is worth $800 - $900. So now I use that just for chart and down/side imaging. Now the HDS 8 that is at the dash that I use for regular sonar will only show me half of the screen. The whole right side is crazy vertical lines that will not change no matter what page I go to and the left side is perfect. So my question is, if I were to buy a HDS 7 Touch Gen 2 will my current graphs still work with it. Do the Gen 2's have different LSS (little black box) and transducers. I can't swing a 12 touch gen 3 so I am not sure what to do, but the two that I have are slowly falling apart. Maybe it's time for birds? Also I have not sent in the HDS 8 yet, might be an easy fix. Any advise would be great because I am not sure what to do.

man i feel ya... it's kinda like the battery thread where we (consumer) are expected to pay huge cash for the latest technology, but the manufacturers seem to skimp on the basics that could make their products a true value, and valuable for years... they all like to sell the sizzle of the "latest and greatest", but, seems to me, build them to last for about 2 generations so when the weak links break (like in your case), we seem to knuckle under and go for the upgrade... it just plain sux...

fwiw, i know lowrance makes lots of aircraft navigation as well... would be nice to know if THAT line is built on the cheap like the fishing side, potentially leaving people in grave danger, and them (lowrance) potentially liable for huge liability claims... i would doubt it...

veryslippery

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had multiple Gen 2 8's and had problems with each of them. The first time they replaced under warranty, the second I think they got me for 5 or 6 hundred bucks to fix the issue. First time I had a black spot they took out the bottom left of the screen, next was a unit that would lock up and turn off by itself. I ended up selling the boat so no idea if that graph is still working. I love the product just wish they would last a little longer that 2 years. I had an old lcx 15 mt that was over 10 years old and never missed beat. I am switching over to birds this year hopeful that the quality will be a little better.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
just curious. Have you updated the software from the lowrance website? Updates seem to come often. I have done a few on the gen 2's.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had multiple Gen 2 8's and had problems with each of them. The first time they replaced under warranty, the second I think they got me for 5 or 6 hundred bucks to fix the issue. First time I had a black spot they took out the bottom left of the screen, next was a unit that would lock up and turn off by itself. I ended up selling the boat so no idea if that graph is still working. I love the product just wish they would last a little longer that 2 years. I had an old lcx 15 mt that was over 10 years old and never missed beat. I am switching over to birds this year hopeful that the quality will be a little better.

I tried that. I have one bird for some mapping and 360. The unit had no issues with function. I just didn't like it over the Lowrance. I am trying an Onix 10 this year. Birds seem like they are the base model chevy and the lowrance is like a cadillac. Map zoom and operation is so much nicer on the Lowrance. The sonar also seems to be better with the lowrance. This is coming from a guy that is still pissed at Lowrance over a moisture issue on my Gen 1 HDS 10. I wish Lowrance weren't a bunch of cheap Nazis when it comes servicing their damn products. The other thing is you can't run doc sonar chips on a 'bird. If 'bird could step up their game, they could really run with this thing. Calling Lowrance customer service is like going to bad dentist for a root canal.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I appreciate all of the info. Last night I did the soft reset like sluggo suggested and it started out with the right half "scrabbled" but after the map of the US came up it cleared up. But you can still see a difference between the two halves. After playing around on it for 5 minutes it started to act up again. I will probably have to send it in after I try the updates. Again Thanks for all of the advice.

beanman82

If you have a lake chip in it take it out and try it. I had issues with my HDS8. I got frustrated and pulled the chip out and now it works perfect. I don't know why but now I'm happy with it. Was ready to throw it in the lake before.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67