Hehn-Schaffer walleye help??

Redandwhite_72

Hello. Im from mossouri. My sister is having a baby the middle of may and so I'll be coming up there for a couple days. Hehn-Shaffer lake is not far from their house. I've never done any walleye fishing, but I'd like to when we come up. My sister and her husband don't fish so I am turning to you folks. Would anyone be willing to share any tips or tricks. What kind of baits and how to fish for them. My brother in law does have a boat but I don't know if we'll get to take it out, so it may just be bank fishing. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never heard of that lake. Had to look it up. Walleye are low light feeders so early mornings, evenings and choppy water (windy days) are generally best. Off the top of me head, lead head jigs from shore with white Mr. Twister tails have been good to me. Leeches below bobbers or lindy rigs can also be effective.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never heard of that lake. Had to look it up. Walleye are low light feeders so early mornings, evenings and choppy water (windy days) are generally best. Off the top of me head, lead head jigs from shore with white Mr. Twister tails have been good to me. Leeches below bobbers or lindy rigs can also be effective.

Meelosh is a terrible fisherman according to himself so keep that in mind.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meelosh is a terrible fisherman according to himself so keep that in mind.

Ghost is a self admitted bad fisherman, though almost all of that is hyperbole (google that if you need to). In fact, he fought the wind yesterday and ended with a nice two-man limit of walleyes and managed to not completely swamp his puddle jumper doing it in a fairly short amount of time. Have anything constructive to add or care to refute the tips?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ghost is a self admitted bad fisherman, though almost all of that is hyperbole (google that if you need to). In fact, he fought the wind yesterday and ended with a nice two-man limit of walleyes and managed to not completely swamp his puddle jumper doing it in a fairly short amount of time. Have anything constructive to add or care to refute the tips?

Did meelosh just meelosh enslow?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

We wish you would just come out of the closet meelosh.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
We wish you would just come out of the closet meelosh.

Interesting term of "coming out of the closet" you use considering how much you've been pursuing me lately. I'm flattered, but not interested.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting term of "coming out of the closet" you use considering how much you've been pursuing me lately. I'm flattered, but not interested.

drop-the-mic.gif

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting term of "coming out of the closet" you use considering how much you've been pursuing me lately. I'm flattered, but not interested.[
Well... Lets just say that your bacon brightens my day and that blue fiberglass boat is just iceing on the cake...

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello. Im from mossouri. My sister is having a baby the middle of may and so I'll be coming up there for a couple days. Hehn-Shaffer lake is not far from their house. I've never done any walleye fishing, but I'd like to when we come up. My sister and her husband don't fish so I am turning to you folks. Would anyone be willing to share any tips or tricks. What kind of baits and how to fish for them. My brother in law does have a boat but I don't know if we'll get to take it out, so it may just be bank fishing. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and welcome to Nda if you can handle us there is some good info to be had

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
This turned into something strange in a hurry. Funny though.
Where are you from in Missouri?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting term of "coming out of the closet" you use considering how much you've been pursuing me lately. I'm flattered, but not interested.[
Well... Lets just say that your bacon brightens my day and that blue fiberglass boat is just iceing on the cake...

Does anyone know where Meeloshs brother yellowjacket is?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are Enslow and Lunkerslayer the same person?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never fished it, but have driven past it before. It is one of the few lakes like that that has a fishing Pier. The fact that you will be here in May should be to your advantage fishing from shore. Walleye will either be spawning or post spawn and should be able to be found in the shallower water. Weed growth should also not be bad.

I would focus on pitching 1/4oz jigs tip with gulp/plastic/live bait in the 4-6" range. Second option would be to cast cranks and retrieve with various methods. Early morning and late evening will be the best bites from shore. Not sure if its allowed but fishing from the road/ditch rip rap might allow you to reach deeper water within casting distance.

http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/fishing/lakecontours/hehnschaffer2011.pdf

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
JMF is not playing with a full deck of cards ;:;banghead

I only ask because you have always been annoying and Enslow's constant pursuit of Ghost every time he posts is getting old.

Sorry Redandwhite, I had never heard of the lake either so can't offer any advice.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only ask because you have always been annoying and Enslow's constant pursuit of Ghost every time he posts is getting old.

Sorry Redandwhite, I had never heard of the lake either so can't offer any advice.

Like I said JMF if you aren't playing with a full deck, you would realize it has been a back and forth spat between Meelosh and enslow for a long time coming. JMF are you yellowjacket seems the only time you come from under the rock is to criticize just like Brooks.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.lake-link.com/North-Dak...hn-Schaffer-Lake-Stutsman-County-North-Dakota

http://www.fishidy.com/map/us/north-dakota/hehn-schaffer-lake

http://www.completefish.com/north-dakota/hehn-schaffer-lake

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few different sites to check out

Last edited:

Redandwhite_72

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful replys, lol. That will get me started anyway. My sister says it's not a very big lake. The fact that it's only a couple miles from her house is the reason it interested me.

Fishmission, I'm about an hour south of Kansas city.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunky, to be fair you are the only person I criticize. I'm glad you picked up on my first post as an insult, however comparing Enslow to you was an insult to him. Now here I am, down a rabbit hole with an idiot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70