Garmin and Humminbird questions

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at Sonar GPS Combo units, I'd like to be able to switch between two boats once in awhile so I want attach mounts or at least be compatible with a handheld unit to download waypoints.
I see the Garmins come chipped and ready to go so that makes them look like a better bang for the buck , On the other hand, I like my 777 humminbird that has taken a beating and keep on working like new. Are Garmins that dependable too ? and are all Fishing maps created equal these days ? (Devils Lake)

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmins are awesome. you will find Garmin products in an extremely large percentage of aircraft in this country. that ought to answer the question on reliability. They have been one of the largest selling Salt Water instruments for years. Never really went after the fresh water market until recently. Their GPS is as good as it gets. The Sonar now is as good as anybodies out there. Go over to walleyecentral and look through the electronics section and see the hundreds of posts of people having nightmare issues with their lowrance and birds. that'll end your quest. I will only buy Garmin from here on out unless something drastically changes. Their new panoptix looks amazing.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Garmin was able to take my favorite lake chips I would consider them. As of now, they do not. Plus, they need a guru to take on their platform like Jason Halfen and Doc Sonar.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmins are awesome. you will find Garmin products in an extremely large percentage of aircraft in this country. that ought to answer the question on reliability. They have been one of the largest selling Salt Water instruments for years. Never really went after the fresh water market until recently. Their GPS is as good as it gets. The Sonar now is as good as anybodies out there. Go over to walleyecentral and look through the electronics section and see the hundreds of posts of people having nightmare issues with their lowrance and birds. that'll end your quest. I will only buy Garmin from here on out unless something drastically changes. Their new panoptix looks amazing.

The panoptix looks very cool! Quite the tool for pitching jigs and cranks. I even saw a video where it was mounted to the transom and tilted down at a 45 degree angle so you could watch your bait while trolling and see fish swipe or follow.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im getting a new handheld garmin for hunting this summer sometime. Any recommendations on a handheld unit?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im getting a new handheld garmin for hunting this summer sometime. Any recommendations on a handheld unit?

I bought the Oregon for ice fishing. Touch screen and easy to use. But it is hard on batteries. Overall very satisfied with it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Garmin was able to take my favorite lake chips I would consider them. As of now, they do not. Plus, they need a guru to take on their platform like Jason Halfen and Doc Sonar.
don't need a guru when they're that easy to use;)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lake chips are my big concern, Is there a lot to be desired about the Garmin lake chips ?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Magellan 710 takes the navionics card which is awesome since Garmin still hasn't moved into that transition yet. I bought a new one which has upgraded hardware which helped with satellite signal and battery life. With the vantage point Web site app I can download and up load all my way pt as well as download directly to Google earth which is cool feature.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My garmin chip is great. Don't know why you'd need anything else. Fished side by side with my kid in his boat. He had a lowrance and my Garming chip was far more accurate on Sak.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Garmin chip compare to Lake master or navionics on Devils Lake? I haven't heard of many suggest Garmin for boat units. Good topic Davey Thumbs Up

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Garmin chip compare to Lake master or navionics on Devils Lake? I haven't heard of many suggest Garmin for boat units. Good topic Davey Thumbs Up
what is it your specifically wanting from a chip? The garmin's will show you as much detail and just as good of contours as anything out there. My guess is Garmin bought the data from Lakemaster or such.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the reason I ask because Garmin units can use the navionics cards. At least that is what my navionics emails say. I would love to be able to run navionics in the Garmin handhelds the like Monterra. That way I can transfer way pt from one unit to the other.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the reason I ask because Garmin units can use the navionics cards. At least that is what my navionics emails say. I would love to be able to run navionics in the Garmin handhelds the like Monterra. That way I can transfer way pt from one unit to the other.

That's exactly what I want to do , I have two boats and I fish out of both of them. A hand held and a mounted unit would get the trick done and they will transfer but using a small screen would be a bummer. I wanted a unit that will plug direct into a nice big touchscreen monitor but I quit trying to configure crap , I just want something that is dependable and simple. I'm starting to think Garmin pretty hard but I don't see any Garmin quick connect , I sure like that feature with the Bird.
I'm looking at the STriker 7 One more mallard fro side view , Is it worth it ?
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheWater-cFishfinders-p1.html

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a down scan junky i got to have that side scan i can live with out but i know some who are just the opposite.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
playing with the sidescan in dirtymikes boat last weekend the one thing i noticed that was pretty interesting was what i would normally think is good "fish holding" structure (boulders, rocks, etc.) and what/where the fish actually hung out were waaaayy off - just slight dips or impressions would have fish, right out in the middle of no where. Crazy.

Downscan looks way cool but i so far have failed to see how it could help a guy catch fish over a nice 2d sonar. How do you use der kurtr?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
garmin has side and down both. just add the modules. and they have panoptix which is cool as hell

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
playing with the sidescan in dirtymikes boat last weekend the one thing i noticed that was pretty interesting was what i would normally think is good "fish holding" structure (boulders, rocks, etc.) and what/where the fish actually hung out were waaaayy off - just slight dips or impressions would have fish, right out in the middle of no where. Crazy.

Downscan looks way cool but i so far have failed to see how it could help a guy catch fish over a nice 2d sonar. How do you use der kurtr?

In times of clutter and baitfish the down scan is way more honest. I have even been in situations where 2d would not register, but down scan worked well.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
can i throw a garmin on the dash and just us the down scan / or side scan and have the transducer along side of my h-bird. Will they interfere?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80