Troubleshooting Control Box Installation

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but here goes: I finally found a motor to replace the burnt up Mercury on the Alumacraft my grandfather gave me after he moved into assisted living. I'll be replacing it with a 1997 Johnson 50hp outboard. The only issue is that it's coming out of a bass boat with flush-mounted controls. My Alumacraft has box controls.

Now, there is a bit of a ledge between the hull and where the box controls are mounted that currently hide the cables and whatnot. But the guy who is selling to me suggested I get Johnson box controls since he doesn't think they will fit.

I've called all over and nobody has a used set. New Johnson controls are like $350!

Here's a picture of my current setup. Do you think a jerry-rigged flush-mount setup would work here?? The only issue I can see is it getting in the way of the storage below.

I guess we'll find out Sunday when he helps me pull the old motor off and put the new one one!

IMG_1665.JPG.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? I see a bunch, but very few used boxes with trim.
I see em on there all the time, all brands. New and used. You can buy new for the price of used usually.

- - - Updated - - -

can you post a pic of the flush mount? I think it would work or could be made to work easily enough

- - - Updated - - -

something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-OMC-Jo...ash=item4646572ebb:g:cdgAAOSwHPlWcbih&vxp=mtr

- - - Updated - - -

more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/omc-contol-box-w-cables-/261349756639?hash=item3cd9a8cedf:g:sDUAAOxyNo9SpKFX&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/386867-Remote-Control-Box-Fits-OMC-outboards-from-the-70s-/400677114492?hash=item5d4a37927c:g:Wu8AAOxykMpTINXZ&vxp=mtr

- - - Updated - - -

you could also run a piece of aluminum or marine grade plywood from the gunnel to the floor and then mount your flush mount in that.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I learned a lot this weekend. For starters, the difference in complexity between a 1980s motor and 1990s motor is staggering. The amount of crap I yanked out of my boat with that Mercury is ridiculous, especially compared to the 1997 Johnson that, basically, simply bolted to the back of my boat. Not having a mounted hydraulic pump in the boat is a huge space saver.

Anyway, I got the flush controls and it looks like it may be able to work if I'm handy with a Dremel cutter. But I did the pussy thing and bought a new control box off Ebay. It was half the price of one from the source, so it was a good deal.

Won't have everything hooked up until at least next week, but for now here she is in all her glory!

IMG_1677.JPG.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84