Frame packs/ and GPS for elk hunting

tfleck29

Was wondering what everyone recommends or uses? would be using for elk hunting out west and mule deer in the badlands for the most part.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
81tHVvRIKRL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an alps frame pack a couple years ago that worked awesome for my elk hunt. It was only like $90 at scheels. I will find a pick of it.

- - - Updated - - -

alps_commander_freighter_frame_1254432_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Called an ALPS Commander, and I have a Garmin hand held GPS. 600T I think. Its really nice as well.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much are you looking to spend on a pack?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am running an eberlestock j34 I am hiking some miles every day with 60 pounds of sand in it. It carry's that weight good. I have other eberlestock lacks so I knew I would like it. If money was no object I would go kifaru. Also look at exo mountain gear,mystery ranch and tenzig. Kuiu and sitka both make packs. Most important is fit. Go to rokslide. Com alot of info on back country hunting.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im gonna get al kuiu pack this summer.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am running an eberlestock j34 I am hiking some miles every day with 60 pounds of sand in it. It carry's that weight good. I have other eberlestock lacks so I knew I would like it. If money was no object I would go kifaru. Also look at exo mountain gear,mystery ranch and tenzig. Kuiu and sitka both make packs. Most important is fit. Go to rokslide. Com alot of info on back country hunting.

Also add stone glacier to your list.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the exo. I have packed a mulie and 2 elk in it so far.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im gonna get al kuiu pack this summer.

No experience with the newer frames but I have the older frame and pack. I love it for a day pack, shed hunting, but it sucks for hauling any kind of weight.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew there was a good one I for got. I have also heard seek outside packs are good

Dang it, I forgot that one as well. I got one through massdrop a month or so ago. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an eberlestock dragonfly for sale. I will let it go pretty cheap

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an Elberstock M5 that I used last year for elk that I am looking to sell if anyone's interested.

Bucksnightmare

Founding Member
Founding Member
KUIU Icon pro 5200 is what I ran last year, absolutely love it. It can be used for everything i'll ever throw at it. Daypack, pack in 3-5 days worth of gear and food, or pack out a deer from the mountains. It expands to an amazing size when needed to pack out critters. Another feature that I like is buying the frame system once and now I can upgrade packs in the future if needed, and just slap it on the frame system.IMG_1571[1].jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have the money to spend, Kifaru is the only way to go. Exo, stone glacier, and mystery ranch are decent as well. Don't waste your money on a Kuiu pack. They are comfortable up to about 30lbs. Anything beyond that and you'd be better off wearing your high school back pack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62