Crazy question

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I do allot of trout fishing and one of my go to setups is a Kokanee/lake trolls. Just wondering how ever unlikely if any of you have tried one or something similar on walleyes? It's more or less like a three to four foot spinner rig trailed by whatever particular lures suits your fancy that day....could be a slow death crawler rig or crankbait or spoon. I have a fair few of them only without the keel and on mono not steel wire. Probably going to try it and see what happens and was just curious if anyone has as well.

jeweled_bead_kokanee_troll_hero.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy answer , My wife bought 4 very old ones like made from wire, They have huge old time spinners and flashers. She strung them up on the wall of my office with some old pictures and some old crankbaits hanging from them, They look real good on the wall, I doubt these would work for much of anything besides that. Were they designed to be salmon rigs ?

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used stuff like that for trout on the Flaming Gorge back in the early 70's. It was supposed to imitate a small school of bait fish.

Steve.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I frequently tie a couple of hooks at different intervals above my jigs and bait with minnows when walleye fishing. You may be surprised how many fish you get this way.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
are you talking about cowbells? just looked at that pic. we use them a lot for mountain carp. Not sure about walleye "possible spook them:;:huh" give it a try, or hell maybe I will. would be interesting

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think using that for walleyes would help you. If you have an active walleye that hits one of those "empty" spinners, they will be much less likely to hit your hooked offering at the back. My guess is they will ambush the first spinner that comes into view and the WTF factor will keep them from hitting the last one. JMHO though. For trout and salmon though, they work pretty good in my experience.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard of people down rigging for walleyes but I have not heard of that with cowbells. I am still learning how to not create a jumbled mess of the bells/line/hooks/cables while trolling for rainbows on Bad Medicine Lake.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have downrigged walleyes on devils lake a few times. Just make sure to have a walleye release not salmon releases haha!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes some call them cow bells. As for hitting the lead spinner it could happen in murky water but in the vast vast majority of cases fish will target tail end Charlie over the first one. The ones I have were put together for trout but run on the exact same principle as a normal walleye spinner just super-sized.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to fish with a guy from the Hills. He had a cowbell already tied on and I watched him catch a walleye on it.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
the salmon/laker dudes on the Great Lakes catch incidental walleyes fairly regularly so I would guess it would work around these parts. something tells me it isn't gonna produce huge numbers, or a consistent pattern. be worth a shot tho I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

hell you pop a couple big fish this summer, that'd make it worth it

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always had one in the tackle box rolled up in a plastic water gremlin split shot bag. I was told it was a cowbell and it came from a trout trip to Great Falls before my time. No clue what happened to it.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used to work out by ft peck and called on one of the bait shops... they said they would b fishing for lakers or salmon with down riggers using "laker or salmon gear", and would routinely pull up eyes that didn't trip the release (or whatever it is) when checking bait...

never know... just might b ahab's secret weapon...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those who haven't used them, the trailing bait whether it's a crank bait, or some large live/frozen minnow has a ton more action than the 'bells. I've run frozen Ciscos on ~3'-4' snells behind Cowbells and the bait has a far larger swing/wobble than the blades, looks like a wounded fish trying to keep up with the school but beginning to fail.

They'd work for Walleyes, but, one of the beautys of fishing for walleyes is NOT having to have 2# of crap tied to your main line.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
the salmon/laker dudes on the Great Lakes catch incidental walleyes fairly regularly so I would guess it would work around these parts. something tells me it isn't gonna produce huge numbers, or a consistent pattern. be worth a shot tho I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

hell you pop a couple big fish this summer, that'd make it worth it

I have no doubt it will catch walleyes the question is will it have a time and a place where it out fishes a standard spinner rig. If it can't keep pace or is only equal to the standard rig the it won't be worth the price or effort but will give a chance to see the real world results.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67