Trailer Tires

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had my used boat for 6 years and the tires weren't new at that time. I've read some things that you should change the trailer tires out about every 6-7 years regardless of use and whether or not it's been stored inside. Do you find that to be accurate?

What brand of tires do you like for boat trailers and where do you get them (and pay)?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been impressed with the durability and miles I've put on two boats, both with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
old boat had Goodyear Marathons and about 20k on em, still good for another 20k. The new boat has Carlisles, and we will see how they fair.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't get more than a couple thousand miles from mine. have to replace my axles, way too light.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marathons on my trailer as well. They look like I'll be spending some money next spring. I have no idea how many miles are on them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tandem trailer, and the tires were starting to show some wear. I picked up 6 ply tires, not sure on the brand(whatever Northwest tire sells) and had my farm buddy with a tire change machine put them on for me. I think I spent $300 for the 4 tires, and zero for the mounting. You also do not need to balance trailer tires, so don't fall for that expense.

I would rather spend the money now if they look worn, than be on the side of the road trying to eff around with a blown tire. They rarely just blow and not cause a bunch of damage to everything around them.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tandem trailer, and the tires were starting to show some wear. I picked up 6 ply tires, not sure on the brand(whatever Northwest tire sells) and had my farm buddy with a tire change machine put them on for me. I think I spent $300 for the 4 tires, and zero for the mounting. You also do not need to balance trailer tires, so don't fall for that expense.

I would rather spend the money now if they look worn, than be on the side of the road trying to eff around with a blown tire. They rarely just blow and not cause a bunch of damage to everything around them.

Not all true. Your trailer tires (among other things that wont be shaking down the road at 65 mph +) will last much longer in most cases if they are balanced. But trailer tires are lug centric meaning they are aligned with the lug nuts not the center bore like a car, so you need to have them balanced with a pin plate adapter as that's how they would be mounted on the trailer hub. A conventional tire balance will do very little./

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56