high end meats...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
g's pics got me thinking bout grilling season..

g, and anyone else with knowledge on this new beef, or other tasty charred flesh, please share...

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We raised Waygu beef in the past. We are now breeding our hfrs to Aukushi bulls. They finish a bit quicker than Waygu and supposedly have a bit higher marbling. Technically they are not "Kobe" beef as that relates to the area in Japan they are raised and the methods. But they are the same breeds.

There is a noticable difference. Ours are half bloods and if processed right it falls apart with your fork. Dry aged........nothing like it (little different flavor) They are typically older by the time they are finished so it is a more flavorful beef as well. Cooked over old oak fence posts for coals .......................Thumbs Up

I would like to find someone raising Berkshire hogs willing to swap a bit. Will have a few for sale next winter.

This is a link to an Akushi beef source here in the states. There aren't too many places to get it.

Mmmmmmm, beef, It's what's for dinner!!

https://heartbrandbeef.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Mossy Mo is the expert on "charred flesh". Akushi beef and Tatonka dust....damn, now I have to go get that leftover steak out of the fridge.

He's got pics that will have you licking your computer screen.

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I raised 4 Berkshires/Red Wattles and the pork is great. Best thing about hogs is you can buy as feeder pigs and feed them out in 120 days. And that was pasture/feed together. Best pork I have ever raised. Looking forward to raising somemore this summer.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had Kobe steaks at the resort in Cabo this last winter. Well worth the $$$ we ended up spending on them. I cant say it would be an everyday indulgence, but was fantastic.
Prior to that the best tasting steak I remember was good old Ray from the Elks 1137 ribeyes...could eat those every meal.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Same price as regular beef right?

:)

- - - Updated - - -

I raised 4 Berkshires/Red Wattles and the pork is great. Best thing about hogs is you can buy as feeder pigs and feed them out in 120 days. And that was pasture/feed together. Best pork I have ever raised. Looking forward to raising somemore this summer.

Where are you picking up the Berks at if you don;t mind?

Would possibly be interested in a little barter if you are interested in Akushi beef.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if, when I travel, I get a shot at carpaccio , I am all over it. Sometimes two orders.
image86.jpg

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My experience with raw beef was a bad batch of tiger meat............I had to grab my asshole with my teeth twice. ;:;barf

This looks pretty good though outside the rabbit turds.

Enlighten us hillbillies that cook meat over an open flame more about taste and the other fine aspects if you would.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if you're genuinely interested but...

I skip anything "ground but raw". But any raw whole muscle meats are safe IMO. Ground foods give any speck of fecal contamination the ability to get nicely distributed onto a lot of surface area - then breed like rabbits - like a big Petri dish. If you carve away the "rind" of any whole muscle cut then you get at the meat that in no way could have intestinal trouble-causing bacteria present.

After learning to enjoy sushi over time I ran into a bunch of carpaccio in Germany on a biz trip in the early 2000s and the Germans went nuts for it every night so I joined in. I was hooked.

Cold food somehow has flavors you don't detect when its hot or warm. The fat has an earthy/nutty melt-in-your-mouth feel and the flesh tastes just wonderfully beefy of course. The fat melting is awesome - kind of like how a homemade bun with a thick spread of butter changes in your mouth as you chew it. They usually do some olive oil/citrus dressing drizzle that makes it even more "luscious" in the mouth.

Oh man I want some bad now. I am going to make some this weekend when it's rainy/windy. Lots of recipes on the web. The simpler the better IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

and don't skip the foofoo greens... a sprig of that here/there adds nice flavor/texture contrast

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if you're genuinely interested but...

I skip anything "ground but raw". But any raw whole muscle meats are safe IMO. Ground foods give any speck of fecal contamination the ability to get nicely distributed onto a lot of surface area - then breed like rabbits - like a big Petri dish. If you carve away the "rind" of any whole muscle cut then you get at the meat that in no way could have intestinal trouble-causing bacteria present.

After learning to enjoy sushi over time I ran into a bunch of carpaccio in Germany on a biz trip in the early 2000s and the Germans went nuts for it every night so I joined in. I was hooked.

Cold food somehow has flavors you don't detect when its hot or warm. The fat has an earthy/nutty melt-in-your-mouth feel and the flesh tastes just wonderfully beefy of course. The fat melting is awesome - kind of like how a homemade bun with a thick spread of butter changes in your mouth as you chew it. They usually do some olive oil/citrus dressing drizzle that makes it even more "luscious" in the mouth.

Oh man I want some bad now. I am going to make some this weekend when it's rainy/windy. Lots of recipes on the web. The simpler the better IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

and don't skip the foofoo greens... a sprig of that here/there adds nice flavor/texture contrast

reloading bullets and trying this are my two goals this rainy weekend. i love tiger meat to

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somehow you have to keep the meat cold while working with it - like in a cool garage, on cold stone countertop, or whatever. I've worked with other italian sausages etc. that got screwy because they warmed up and the fat went clear and greasy. Lame!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks really good! I like carpaccio and beef tartar. I try to get the Norwegians I work with to try stuff like that and I get looks like I have 3 heads and then they counter offer lye soaked cod. Haha

Best venison steaks I have had were done by a guy we goose hunted with in southern Illinois. He would hang until mold popped up on the ribcage then trim and butcher and cut steaks and wrap bacon on outside and season. I imagine it pales compared to the high end Japanese beef.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I the only one that still likes a well prepared pork chop or pork steak ? I like to throw a little hickory salt and season all on it and pan fry it in hot cast iron pan. Sometimes broiled with mushroom sauce AKA Can of campbell's cream of mushroom. Years ago they said pork eaters are a dying breed , Maybe they were right but I'm still kicken.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66