Fishing the marinas around Bismarck

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering if the marinas around bismarck are fishable as far as laws go. This was brought up in the Memorial bridge thread and figured I would just start a new thread. Anyways, I wouldnt mind going and catching some panfish in the marinas. Im just not 100% sure on the laws about doing that. Not much of a fan of the river, forgive me lol, but they are close and you can use live baitfish unlike harmon or fish creek.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish away. Do it now before it gets full of pontoons and and empty beer cans.

Before we moved over to bismarck, I would fish in lakewood quite a bit. Caught a few crappies and a snot rocket but not much more than that. I did catch a little walleye in marina bay one time.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can access them legally, you can fish them. I've caught some nice crappie and walleye in the marina north of Bismarck. Walleye can be found in the channel between the marina and the river. The crappie like to be around rocks or structure in the marina. I haven't fished Southport but I see a lot of panfish along the riprap that one should be able to catch. I'm thinking flyfishing would work well from a boat to catch these.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at going to misty waters as i have been there before. i assume thats the one north of town you are talking about, with the gas station there? from what i remember its mostly stone wall around it isnt it? where did you go to find crappie? thanks for the quick answers by the way guys.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually find the crappie by the walls and around docks using a small hook and minnow.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess the crappie are usually around 11 inches. Just big enough to keep.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off are you talking shore or boat. I'm fairly well versed on riparian rights but back in the man made stuff I've never studded much but it probably fall under ordanary high water mark since most have some type of business in them and it's commerce movement that is the judging point on what is and is not sovereign.

As for the fishing i actually might disagree with dirty on this one although mind you without any real world experience in most of the bays go. With crappie (especially whites)and large mouth bass one of the big draws in the bays other then the lack of current is the warmer water. Combine that with both being HUGE fans of being near structure and especially shadows I'm normally going to to head straight for the docks and the more boats the better. Again I personally have never done it here but have caught untold number fish midsummer pitching baits in the cracks between the boats and the docks on other bodies of water. Hell this is more or less how I first got started fishing back in the 80's. I would bike down to the marina in jamestown with my friends and pick up some bait from Arnie and fish with bobber around the docked pontoons just south of the store and laugh as arnie would get out the bullhorn and yell at people going to fast in their boats......man those were fun days.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be wrong but I dont think you can fish off the docks in these marinas. If your in a boat on the water there is nothing they can do but they can kick you off the docks.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Technically if a dock is accessible from the ordanary high water mark It may very well be fair game. Again not sure about the man made stuff but the rule is riparian land owners are allowed to have access to the shore zone between low and high water marks but this does not give them claim to it and it is still open to the general public. Not sure but docks may well fall under the same blanket that rip rap does....I.E. privately paid for but on public property. If true i would be very interested to see the status of a tied up boat! Needless to say the dock thing would not be worth the pissing match it would cause.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So your saying I could crawl into someones boat parked in a slip in marina bay and do a little fishing? That seems a little strange.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah like I said not sure on the docks let alone the boat part. Obviously you couldn't drive it off but would be interesting to see if any laws are written for it. You would think there is some kind of vehicle clause in the law some where otherwise people could climb into cars on a public street.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I was talking about boat access not walking access. You can fish marinas by water if you can get access legally. Thats the only way I have fished the marinas.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea you are correct all water everywhere outside of refuges and various restricted areas are open to fishing if you are on the water even if all the land is private and posted. Hell my folks lake is all private but if you parachuted in you would be legal. This is why a helicopter is the ultimate ice fishing ride.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok i will be on land. but i dont remember there being a no trespassing sign or anything like that when i was at misty last. i could be wrong though. I will ask someone at the gas station there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66